Thread: Springers just got harder to shoot...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When you realise that changing the hold position causes problems you then start to listen to the hypnotic phrases ...

Reduced hold sensitivity ... and ... tuning.

This is now time to save yourself lots of pain and kill yourself, as you now start to try and defy science.

You'll be whipping internals in and out in a frenzy. You'll also start adding weight all over the place until your rig weighs about 11 stone.

I only shot in the winters and I got to the point where I would wear exactly the same clothes each shoot. For the prone shots I would have a gloved front hand on the floor and there was an exact point on the rifle that had to rest on that front hand. The butt would be just off the floor and the top of the butt had to be in the exact same place in my shoulder ... which happened to be on a seam on the same coat that I always wore.

If the target/peg position was such that I had to move significantly ( significantly means a very small amount ) away from that then I would abandon prone and take the shot kneeling, as I could have far more control over the hold points when kneeling. I'd take 40 yard 25mm targets kneeling and 15mm 25 yard targets kneeling if need be. I had a better percentage on those in a comfortable kneeling stance rather than an uncomfortable prone one.

I absolutely loved shooting HFT with my springer like that for many years. Eventually, a failing right eye, a dodgy knee, JSB's inability to produce consistent pellets, the soul destroying temperature induced POI jump, and the PCP/scope kit race that squeezed courses even that little bit tighter ( to a point where I felt that any decent wind now made plenty of shots a lottery for everyone ), beat the will out of me.

Great times though. Enjoy.
    Last edited by bozzer; 23-09-2017 at 08:53 AM.