Thread: BSA Cadets Minors Majors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Lovely, good looking guns, the Cadet and Cadet Major. I have several, and love them to bits. The Cadet major had a longer compression cylinder and adjustable sights and trigger, The smaller cadet was aimed at youngsters, as a first gun. They did make a quantity of guns with spliced, three piece stocks, similar to the larger Airsporter range, however these are not common. Earlier guns, can suffer from the crossgrain strengthening fillets in the pistolgrip, working loose. Not sure what the fix is for that. I have also come across guns cracked across the pistol grip, so clearly this was an area of weakness on these guns.

Good condition guns with the photo etching intact and increasing in price (I have always thought, the guns were worth more than the average selling prices they received) and now they are coming back into popularity as more and more shooters realise what good fun they are to shoot.

Never again will we see that quality of materials used in a junior air rifle. Like people have said...... Bombproof design.

Enjoy
    Thanks for the input Lakey much appreciated .
    I saw an aged Airsporter advertised some time ago and there was more ref to the stock in the sales blurb , which I did not understand .
    Now I do so thank you .
    As a newbie its natural to ask the obvious question , why did BSA use multi part stocks when its clear that simpler would have been better - less fracturuing , weaknesses , warping . Referencing the mahogany stock coming up for sale in that Hansons auction tomorrow made from only two halves , its clear that is what they intended
    initially ? I can possibly understand them dropping Mahogany as a source wood , even though back then Mahogany was much more common but the time and effort to make a stock from more parts - matching off segments , final fit , then finish ( grain travel , open ended etc ) doesn't make financial sense .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 25-09-2017 at 09:44 PM.