Thread: Cunning '77 Modification

Cunning '77 Modification

Just an idea but it might work.
    One of the annoying things about the '77, '97, TX and LGU is the fiddly loading. So why not put a pop-up loading guide that lifts when the cocking lever is fully back and is pushed out of the way by a spring when the lever goes forward. The '57 has a pop up breech that shows you can have a lift up mechanism powered by the lever. It would also be a useful anti-beartrap device as the piston couldn't go forwards while the loading guide was in place. Alternatively, you could just make it spring powered so the shooter has to push it down to close the lever and move the piston forwards (like the anti-beartrap on a Dianna)

BB

Would it help with pellets dropping back from the breech do you think? That's annoying when you have to turn it all upside down ..

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    One of the annoying things about the '77, '97, TX and LGU is the fiddly loading. So why not put a pop-up loading guide that lifts when the cocking lever is fully back and is pushed out of the way by a spring when the lever goes forward. The '57 has a pop up breech that shows you can have a lift up mechanism powered by the lever. It would also be a useful anti-beartrap device as the piston couldn't go forwards while the loading guide was in place. Alternatively, you could just make it spring powered so the shooter has to push it down to close the lever and move the piston forwards (like the anti-beartrap on a Dianna)

BB
    good idea

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    How would it get past the cylinder. An elderly gentleman at my club has made a tool for loading his 77. A sort of lolly stick with a piece of rubber to hold the pellet in place

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    How would it get past the cylinder. An elderly gentleman at my club has made a tool for loading his 77. A sort of lolly stick with a piece of rubber to hold the pellet in place

Pete
    It drops out of the way before the cylinder is closed. This would need a hole in the bottom of the action for it to go through.

The Diana slide breech rifles have a tapered breech makes for easier pellet loading.

I don't know why the other manufacturers haven't adopted this design.

The AA Prosport is unique in that it has a cut out at the bottom of the cylinder and a hidden interceptor anti bear trap device.

I still like the Theoben enclosed slide breech, swing out single shot tray with a loading probe seating the pellet within the breech.

The BSA rotating breech RB2 was a very good mass production idea as an alternative to slide breech, albeit the transfer port being quite long as a result.

alignment would be the critical bit

I'm not even a fan of probes nd channels for loading pellets

Quote Originally Posted by martin75 View Post
    The Diana slide breech rifles have a tapered breech makes for easier pellet loading.

I don't know why the other manufacturers haven't adopted this design.

The AA Prosport is unique in that it has a cut out at the bottom of the cylinder and a hidden interceptor anti bear trap device.

I still like the Theoben enclosed slide breech, swing out single shot tray with a loading probe seating the pellet within the breech.

The BSA rotating breech RB2 was a very good mass production idea as an alternative to slide breech, albeit the transfer port being quite long as a result.
    Always liked the RB2/Superstar design. BSA could have executed it a bit better though.

I think the "mod" - well, built in design - would look and work similarly to how a semi auto shotgun feeds cartridges. The only issue I see is that for a properly designed loading guide you need some space below, where the cocking link normally resides, and the cutout size may also weaken the external cylinder if too generous.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post

BB
    Something along the lines of an Anschutz mod 220 perhaps?
    Its more of a moving (up/down) slotted ramp activated by the cocking arm.
    It is simple, works great and the pellet is seated directly into the breech.

Not seen the Anchutz mechanism but it sounds about right.

There is a number of reasons why the sliding breech is the best, one is that when you lengthen the transfer port this will lower the power. Also there is very little wear to the barrel seal as it pushes onto the barrel and not rubbed over it. The BSA rotating breech wears the O ring around it so you loose compression and the O ring that seals the barrel , a number of other designs also suffer from leaks. the slot in the bottom of the action for the pellet to fall though was a copy off the Venom Mach 2 rifle.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Personally I have never had any trouble loading my TX nor my 98. A slightly tapered breech is probably a better design but it really is six of this and half a dozen of the other. The best anto bear trap is holding on to the cocking arm or the barrel while loading.

A.G