Thread: Possible Webley Case?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Saw a Frank A Hoppes vintage gun oil can that was short just like the Webley cans. His company was formed in 1905 and is probably the best known maker of these products today, in the US. Old comtempory cans seem very available and not at crazy prices. I can get 1920s Winchester cans on the Bay right now for north of $200! And it is not unlikely that anyone over here at the time would have bought this oil for their gun? Haven’t seen a short Stoeger or Winchester can. Short is much better for my case
    Original pre-war Webley 'Valvespout' oil cans usually sell for £300-£350 when they rarely appear for sale in this country. The three variants of the post-war can are more easily sourced and sell for £150-£200 depending on condition with the reversible spout being the hardest to find in my experience. At least these later cans were refillable which meant they were not immediately discarded when empty. Similarly, so many of the rectangular Webley tins survive often being used to store screws or nails etc in the dark corners of someones garden shed.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 11-12-2017 at 11:51 AM.