Thread: Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Collector first here, shooter second. The biggest kick for me is finding that time machine where the gun is the same as if I walked into a shop and bought it new. It gives me a chance to really see what it was like to shoot back in another time. So often we judge the performance and characteristics of a old gun with examples that are either worn or changed by reworking. Many times on forums I find that these guns perform better than people read in reviews and write ups? They all must work and I like to fire them but many don’t get fired much, I have favorites that seem to change with time. I like to display them as functional works of art. I also think the greatest opportunity for collecting is with fine examples. These are rare, the hunt is harder and I think the reward can be greater, in that many times people don’t want to pay the extra fine examples deserve and spending a little more gives you a far greater chance of future appreciation. And sometimes you don’t have to pay a little more. Don’t get me wrong a walk away from many auctions where prices get crazy, for me buying at the right price is equally important, part of the game.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.