Thread: Long Barrel or Short Barrel (Carbine)? What advantages in a short barrel?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are you saying, Geezer, that a short barrel on a pcp gives fewer shots per fill? I did not know this.

I am not at all convinced by the faster handling. First, many people add extenders, to aid with cocking and this extends the barrel to where it would usually be in a traditional rifle. So, they might as well have had a long barrel to start. Secondly, with a telescopic sight, no one would notice if the barrel were 6 inches or 26 inches - the scope carries out the aiming and it takes no notice of barrel length!

It seems that the leading reason behind this recent trend for short barrels is merely fashion and aesthetics. Perhaps this post should appear on the General Airgun section of the site, to see if any supporters can defend the short barrel.

So far, to my mind, the short barrel has been 'weighed in the balance and found to be wanting!' Can anyone change my view? The defence of the short barrel is weak, methinks.

Perhaps, Geezer, there is some truth in what you say about less barrel time but the pellet passes through the barrel so quickly that this must be inconsequential.

PS: Mr Moderator, thank you for transferring to the General Section from the Collectors' Section!
    Last edited by andrewM; 16-05-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: PS