I totally agree that some gunshops just don't get "mint" new rifle should be "mint" new rifle, not bashed.

Chain rash and all the other on the rack dinks and scratches are just not on. Far too much its just too much retail stock lack of respect attitude. They just don't get it that mint lovely is important to a large part of the market.
If I put a dink in my rifle then that is my fault. I look after my kit and its just not a "consumable" for the skip one day!
I've also bought and sold for a better stock wood grain before. Its a hobby and some parts of my hobby are not about money but getting things just the way I want them.

Vintage market its patina and the history of the rifle, thats a completely different list of priorities and desirabilities.

I have the odd mint Air Rifle, and their enjoyment to me is that they are mint. Plenty of second hand shooters to have for shooting with if I want.

Anyhow I understand your thread position and agree. Some fantastic wood is wasted on people who just don't appreciate it at all. I'm not saying you can't use a lovely rifle, but do appreciate it. Patina picked up through its history can be a good thing. Or just buy plastic...