Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
Rob

Do you think those stats are good?

Put a different way ... in all those years and only 6 clearances on a GP and 1 in a World ... has there only been 7 occasions when a top shooter has ranged every target well enough, judged the wind well enough and got the shot off well enough ... or has there been many occasions where a top shooter has done absolutely nothing wrong, but kill size, target distance and wind has meant that they didn't clear the course.

My point is that if someone does nothing wrong, but wind ( variable ) has meant that it's almost impossible to knock down a certain target down every time ( even if you do exactly the same thing every time ), then are those targets too small, too far in that wind?
I think they're fine. I've never been to a shoot where a target has been missed by everyone.

It's been proven it's possible to clear if you get it right, and reading the wind is part of the necessary skill set. Years ago when I won a GP on a 48 I missed a 35 yard uphill stander (which others had got) and a 45 yard kneeler which I forgot to dial for (my 2nd to last target). Another 48 I did by missing a stander (again something around 30 yards) and a 25mm kill for wind (can't remember if I aimed off too much or not enough). My first and 3rd targets. It was cleared by a James Osborne in a lane along from me.

The targets aren't too small or far. People miss for all sorts of reasons. Not missing is aim of the game, doing it is another matter. But you'd be surprised how the top shots are able to repeat the task several times consistently.