Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home made pull through

I use a loop in 200lb fishing mono, zero chance of the snapping and doesn’t dig into your hands when pulling. As for the pull through material, I use haberdashery piping cord as used to make the piping around cushions, soft, absorbs oils and solvents well, comes in different diameters and because it is corded again zero chance of it snapping.

Another benefit of the piping cord, get one the is the appriate Dia for the calibre, cut a length that about 3ft longer than the barrel, tie 2 knot in the centre of the cord about 2” apart, load the cord between the two knots with autosomal metal polish and use this to polish the inside of a problematic barrel.

Bb

when I bought my gun cabinet in preparation to applying for my FAC and SGC i got a tin that had some cleaning stuff in it with the cabinet . the guy was in his 60s and used to shoot at Bisley and moved up here but kept his firearms until around 5 years before i bought the cabinet .

In the tin was a green wallet with a pull through and one nylon brush .

Coincidently I went on to buy a .22lr and it was an Anschutz so it was cool that the pull through was a Anschutz branded one .

I have hardly used it .

David at Hunters Vermin will show you how to make a pull through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjfIs7mUemI

Also a safe way to clean an underlever (HW97 in his case ) rifle with a sliding breech and also with a moderator on the rifle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P62Edcp_Y1w

I use hollow braided nylon fly line backing with an old darning needle for a weight at one end to drop through the barrel,
    a simple 3 turn loop at the other & a roll of 4x2 flannelette for strips of cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    David at Hunters Vermin will show you how to make a pull through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjfIs7mUemI
    Jesus Christ, is he on a daywork rate? I’d hate to see him tackle a big job. He made a right meal of that.

ok lads thanks for ya input.im goiing buy some fishing line cut some bits of cloth sprayed with wd40.that should do the job.thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Many years ago, whilst a member on here, I made many pull throughs and either gave them away, or took a small price once I'd increased the quality of the components.
    They were very popular.

I used 80lb conger trace (plastic-coated steel wire) a length of twice the length of the barrel, plus 10 inches.
    Loop it so that both loose ends are together, then pinch the looped end so that it forms a 'U' shape.
    The handle can be one of two choices; wood or metal (as plastic tube is rarely strong enough). Take a pice of wooden dowel, or metal tube, the width of your hand and drill a small 1/8th hole in the centre of it. This is where the wire will enter the handle.
    Push the 2 loose ends of the wire in through the hole and out the other side. If using wooden dowel you can wind the loose ends once around the wood before crimping the wire ends together. Finish with electrician's tape wound around the dowel.
    If using metal tube, you can apply a plastic bead onto the two loose ends before crimping them.
    Once crimped, just pull the crimped wire ends back into the handle.

Ready easy, and only takes 15 minutes.

Other ideas I heard were to uses trimmer line longer than the barrel, and melt one end into a blob that is plenty small enough to pass through the bore with a patch on it.
    This idea means less construction, but getting the size of the blob is critical, and not easy.

Go with the wired option and use Parker Hale 009 as your cleaner. A few drops on a cotton patch is all you need to shift the crud.
    Mine is basically the same as Snock's, with the exception that I use 70lb monofilament fishing line, doubled and fed back through narrow fishing rig tube to leave a small loop at the end to take the patch.