Thread: Wanted: John Bowkett tuned Meteor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @johnbaz, very foxy indeed!
    If you want to bin the Meteor cylinder, then I might be able to refurbish it :-)
    I am going to do some experiments on a Meteor Mk5, to see how good I can get it.
    I'll leave my pristine Mk5 (photo) as it is, for originality's sake.

The actions to be taken:
    - fit a screw at the rear of the action, to act as a scope stop. Yesterday some nice Sportsmatch 13 mm rings arrived, which fit well, but I think a scope stop will still be needed.
    - fit a HW style barrel axis bolt
    - increase the preload of the barrel latch pin spring for a better lock up
    - remove about 2mm from the top of the piston head
    - perhaps add a piston weight
    - enlarge the transfer port to 4mm
    - deburring/polishing the relevant areas
    - Hsing-ee has been so kind to offer me his Maccari piston buttons thank you Hsing-ee
    - and I have ordered a nylon spring guide and top hat. I believe I will have to apply some molybdenum grease on these
    - there will also be a spring from Piggy to experiment with different spring lengths thank you piggy
    - I'd also like to change the front stock fixing screws to allen bolts
    - Maybe - maybe - I'll fit a Lightning trigger mechanism. The trigger casing is the same on the Lightning (and Spitfire) and Meteor, it's simply a matter of making a few holes. I have a spare Lightning trigger mechanism. Not sure if it will improve things, not sure if it will be any lighter.

I know this all sounds a bit far-fetched for a Meteor, but the idea of doing all this makes me kind of happy and excited.

Cheers :-)

Last edited by jirushi; 15-11-2018 at 07:08 AM.