There are some mucky minded individuals, aren't there?

I shoot a lot of LSR, paper punching standing at 20 yards and 25 metres. I was at a competition and the adjacent shooter was using a Ruger 10/22 semi auto with a 5 shot clip. He was single shotting and sometimes letting two off in very quick succession.

I asked him about his technique and he said, rightly, the first rule of target shooting is, only pull the trigger when the cross hairs are on the bull. When I fire my Ruger, he went on, the recoil makes the muzzle flip, and if when it comes down I am still exactly on aim I'll pull the trigger again. You can't do that, he said, with your bolt action rifle, and you have to break position and reacquire it for every shot.

Not wishing to be at a disadvantage, I got hold of a H5 SA. It was a superb piece of kit. However, it's almost recoil free, so the effect that the Ruger displayed was not repeated with the H5, and it ended up with me having to work to stay on aim, rather more than I did with the S410 which I used to use, and use now.

I had some excellent results with the Steyr; here's a ten shot practice card, 20 yards standing using JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9 grain pellets.