As we all know the grey squirrels crime is to ve somewhere it was never meant to be and is now no longer wanted. Man has meddled here in the same way he has with zander and mink on and in our rivers. Plus American crawfish apparently. Even Japanese knotweed has man to thank for its widespread blight.
Despite acknowledging that its not the grey squirrels fault in being here I.personally can't cut them any slack as regards extermination. The farmer on.my regular shoot tells me his dad pointed out a red squirrel to him as a young lad over sixty years ago. That was the one and only one he's ever seen locally since grey squirrels flooded the area. Neither I or my children will ever see one locally in our lifetimes. We will need to travel to specific red squirrel protection areas to do so. I find it sad and worrying. I know this country has a lot on its plate just about now but I can't help feeling that the government should be taking a lead role to restore some balance.
Though it does feel a bit hopeless shooting greys to try and help the reds it must help in a very small way. It also has the bonus of providing sport in the meantime. Plus my farmer mate tells me his winter cattle feed is being left alone and is going further these days.
Older guys tell me there was once a bounty on greys squirrels. I think that would have been an incentive but I fear its been left a bit late to try that one again.
Dave