Gosh, I had not expected so many replies so soon; it looks like 'confession' time.

Garvin: "Andrew I haven't really sought to acquire more than one of each rifle/pistol but over the years I've tended to end up with several of the same model because: the opportunity has come up to 'upgrade' the tatty example I already have with a better one and I tell myself it won't really cost much (or anything) because I'll sell on the tatty one as soon as the new one has arrived. But when it comes time to sell, I 'discover' a variation (sometimes quite small) and can't bear to part with a 'totally different' model to the new one..."

Yes, agreed. I try to keep my (very humble) collection at no more than two of each, as a worthwhile representation, but sometimes the rather more tatty ones perform a little better when shooting. I also try to use mine and I produce a file of targets for each, at various ranges, noting the pellets that perform best - and the variance between pellets is often wide.

I try to avoid becoming obsessive but that is often something of a trial when a 'must have' appears.

There are some magnificent collections photographed here but, from a practical viewpoint, surely a smaller number would be representative? Probably, as you say Binners, it becomes an obsession.

What about more modern rifles/pistols, from the 70s onwards. Do people collect HW80s, FWB Sports, Original 45s, Webley Vulcans/Omegas/Longbows, Mk3s, more modern BSAs, etc, in such numbers as pre-1939 air rifles? Perhaps the feel of old craftsmanship has its attractions, especially for items approaching or exceeding 100years of age but this does not extend to more modern makes.

Very witty, I.J.

A