Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airgun Manufacturers in Zella-Mehlis Germany

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    Wasn't the Langenhan company based there?
    I thought that the 'L' and 'Z' in their earlier crossed-arms trademark (pre WW1?) stood for for Langenhan and Zella-Mehlis; likewise in their later circled 'FLZ' trademark (post WW1?) the letters stood for Freidrich Langenhan Zella-Mehlis.
    It would be nice to get this verified, as I now have a couple of pre-WW1 Langenhan rifles and would like to be sure of their manufacturing origins.
    Atb, Clogger
    This should give you proof of Zella-Mehlis and Langenhan

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    This should give you proof of Zella-Mehlis and Langenhan

Thanks for that, and it's a rather nice piece of artwork too.
    The German youth in the foreground looks well pleased with his rifle, which looks rather like my FLZ Original V!
    Regards, Clogger

Was strolling around Suhl and noticed the Suhl Waffenmuseum. Not much of a website but if you decide to make a trip to the area, might be worth a stop.

http://www.waffenmuseumsuhl.de

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Was strolling around Suhl and noticed the Suhl Waffenmuseum. Not much of a website but if you decide to make a trip to the area, might be worth a stop.

http://www.waffenmuseumsuhl.de
    I visited that one 23 years ago. Unless it has changed you've seen it all in less than an hour and there were no airguns at that time present. All the guns listed on the website were there.

Appears to be available at this source, only.
    https://vsmedien-shop.de/buecher/waf...945-2.-auflage

google trans of description:
    Product information "Air rifles and air pistols from Suhl and Zella-Mehlis after 1945 2nd edition"
    Air rifles and air pistols from Suhl and Zella-Mehlis after 1945 2nd edition
    Author: Ernst G. Dieter

After publication of the title "air rifles and air pistols after 1945 from Suhl" about ten years ago and after the discovery of new sources, the time seems ripe,
    a revised, new technical details containing and also new models (at times unknown prototypes, patterns) descriptive edition.
    In addition to additions in the form of their own, at least knowledge-related "new acquisition", there was both thanks to friendly people interested in topics
    the possibility of models offered on relevant "markets" / forums, usually not available for public sale in former times,
    e.g. the repeating air rifles from the August-Bebel-Werk, Zella-Mehlis, as well as other interesting developments (eg compressed air or CO² guns)
    u. a. of the Suhl companies ETW and FAJAS.
    I did end up ordering the book through this website. It was a bit of a challenge ordering on a German website but after a few failures I made it. Google Translate surely is a great tool. I’m sure a German book will be a challenge, there should be a program where you can scan a page and it will pull off the words to translate but fear I’m going to do a lot of typing. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 02-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Just got a email in German saying my book is shipped, good sign.

Anyone ever use these type of programs to scan printing and the the program puts it into computer text? Seems it’s possible?

“Optical character recognition, or OCR, is a widespread technology that allows you to scan documents and turn them into editable soft copy documents that you can then easily edit. Plenty of software makers offer OCR, such as Adobe OCR. Microsoft is one of those software makers.”

There's ocr in Adobe Acrobat Pro. I've used it. It does work but I had problems with a lot of ocr errors. Fortunately, most of the german I want to read is covered in Google Books; which has an amazingly good ocr engine.

There's ocr in Adobe Acrobat Pro. I've used it. It does work but I had problems with a lot of ocr errors. Fortunately, most of the german I want to read is covered in Google Books; which has an amazingly good ocr engine.
    There are quite a few IPad apps that are ocr scanners? Be interesting to see how well they work.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    There are quite a few IPad apps that are ocr scanners? Be interesting to see how well they work.
    I've seen those but have never used one. Usually, when no ocr text is available, I end up typing it in. In the end, I found that searching for the ocr errors took more time than just doing it manually.

Well, I made it through the German Book Dealers internet site and 3 weeks later my book from Germany arrive. Very detailed lots of pictures and patent drawings. Many German airguns I never knew existed. Information on the Tell 3 model 75. Lots of info on East German guns made after the war.

IPad technology is pretty amazing. Got a free app that from a picture of the text from a page of the book can extract the text. I can copy the text into Google translate and read it. Not perfect but you get the idea. Here is an example on a portion of the text on the East German Model 75 - Tell 3

German:
    3.1.8 Modell 75
    Wie schon erwähnt, hatte nach 1945 die Fa. Manteuffel die LuftpistoleTELL MOD. 3" des V. W. W. O. Will als
    Modell 75" in ihr Erzeugnissortiment übernommen. (. Etwas Geschichte; Fa. Reinhold Manteuffel& Co. ..)
    Der visuelle Vergleich beider Modelle, einerseits anhand des Realstücks der ,TELL MOD. 3" (Prägestempel auf
    Hülse) als auch andererseits des Bildmaterials zur Modell 75" - u. a. Firmenprospekt bzw. Ersatzteilliste , bestang
    die weitgehende Ubereinstimmung beider Pistolen z. B. bezüglich Funktion, Form, Anzahl und Gestaltung der lele
    /17/, (4.1 Ersatzteile-Listen; E 4).
    (Davon kann sich auch ein eventuell zweifelnder Betrachter anhand solcher an sich unwichtigen Einzelheiten, wie
    die hervortretenden Schraubenköpfe an den Stirnseiten des jeweiligen Griffblocks, leicht überzeugen.)
    Wegen Nichtverfügbarkeit desModells 75" erfolgt die funktionelle Beschreibung anhand der TELL MOD. 3.
    Die rein optische Patenschaft der 08-Parabellumpistole zum Modell 75" ist nicht zu verleugnen.

English:

3.1.8 Model 75
    As already mentioned, after 1945 the company Manteuffel had the air pistol TELL MOD. 3 "of V. W. W. O. Will as
    Model 75 "in their product range taken over. (Some history, Fa. Reinhold Manteuffel & Co. ..)
    The visual comparison of both models, on the one hand based on the real piece of, TELL MOD. 3 "(embossed stamp on
    Sleeve) as well as on the other hand of the picture material for the model 75 "- among other things company prospectus and spare parts list, bestang
    the broad agreement of both pistols z. B. in terms of function, shape, number and design of the lele
    / 17 /, (4.1 spare parts lists, E 4).
    (This may also be a doubting observer on the basis of such unimportant details, such as
    the protruding screw heads on the front sides of the respective handle block, easily convince.)
    Due to unavailability of Model 75 ", the functional description is based on the TELL MOD.3.
    The purely optical sponsorship of the 08 parabolic pistol for the 75 "model can not be denied
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-05-2019 at 02:41 PM.