Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Packham gets General License revoked!!!!

Quote garysharples

Is shooting pigeons a no no from now on with air rifle

you need to apply for a license, link to the guidelines here https://assets.publishing.service.go...-statement.pdf
    Last edited by bighit; 26-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Thank you, that's a very handy document and much appreciated.
    Your welcome . I hope people adhere to the guidelines in it and not just Apply for one so they can pop birds in their housing estate gardens when they feel like it .

They have designed it so only people that "NEED" to use them for the reason they have been written for and not so Joe Bloggs can put out a bird feeder to pop some pigeons in their garden for fun.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    I can see all food prices from farmers will go up as they can't control the pests getting to the crops.

How does this stop anything on the list getting shot.
    People who shoot things in their own gardens or out and about with no permission will do so
    as they do already for no good reason.
    Nor will they get a licence
    FWIW the only things that should be shot in gardens are rats or they will burrow and breed and that's it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    How does this stop anything on the list getting shot.
    People who shoot things in their own gardens or out and about with no permission will do so
    as they do already for no good reason.
    Nor will they get a licence
    FWIW the only things that should be shot in gardens are rats or they will burrow and breed and that's it.

Same with driving without a license does not stop people driving ,It won't but to stay legal the law abiding will have to abide by the rules if they want to stay law abiding .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Your welcome . I hope people adhere to the guidelines in it and not just Apply for one so they can pop birds in their housing estate gardens when they feel like it .

They have designed it so only people that "NEED" to use them for the reason they have been written for and not so Joe Bloggs can put out a bird feeder to pop some pigeons in their garden for fun.
    Why? What is wrong with the garden popper helping the farmers out? Aren't they helping keep pest species down and so food prices less high? If they eat the wood pigeon all the better.
    I think everyone should apply so that this Granny State Control'ism is stopped.

I suppose pigeon shooting should only be allowed if you have a farm or country estate. You can't have just anyone do it

Please give some evidence that anyone is putting out bird feeders in their garden so they can shoot birds. If someone did they would be a dick.
    Last year I shot 30 rabbits, four wood pigeon, three squirrel, and seven magpies in my garden. Plus a couple of foxes. And you are saying I shouldn't without a license?
    Last edited by Muskett; 26-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Why? What is wrong with the garden popper helping the farmers out? Aren't they helping keep pest species down and so food prices less high? If they eat the wood pigeon all the better.
    I think everyone should apply so that this Granny State Control'ism is stopped.

I suppose pigeon shooting should only be allowed if you have a farm or country estate. You can't have just anyone do it

Please give some evidence that anyone is putting out bird feeders so they can shoot birds. If someone did they would be a dick.
    Last year I shot 30 rabbits, four wood pigeon, three squirrel, and seven magpies in my garden. Plus a couple of foxes. And you are saying I shouldn't without a license?
    Plenty of people in facebook groups putting out feeders to shoot them for fun.I doubt most of these people will be eating them. Same on Youtube .
    I guess you have not been on any of those pages ? Also the mentality of the people putting dead birds outside packham's house . That shows you that there is people that dont act sensible. Have you seen the comments from supposedly sensible shooters ? threatening him and the others from wild justice

I shoot pigeons and crows yet I dont have my own estate or farm and that's the same for most shooters I suspect. I dont shoot them in my garden and never would .

You have a FAC as you are a law abiding shooter . why have you got an FAC ? Because you need one to be a lawful gun owner correct ?

Will you tarnish that by going out shooting bird without a license ?

You had to be licensed to shoot the birds until a few days ago , just that you did not physically have one in your possession , The difference now is that you HAVE to have a physical one to carry on doing so .
    Last edited by bighit; 26-04-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Plenty of people in facebook groups putting out feeders to shoot them for fun.I doubt most of these people will be eating them. Same on Youtube .
    I guess you have not been on any of those pages ? Also the mentality of the people putting dead birds outside packham's house . That shows you that there is people that dont act sensible. Have you seen the comments from supposedly sensible shooters ? threatening him and the others from wild justice

I shoot pigeons and crows yet I dont have my own estate or farm and that's the same for most shooters I suspect. I dont shoot them in my garden and never would .

You have a FAC as you are a law abiding shooter . why have you got an FAC ? Because you need one to be a lawful gun owner correct ?

Will you tarnish that by going out shooting bird without a license ?

You had to be licensed to shoot the birds until a few days ago , just that you did not physically have one in your possession , The difference now is that you HAVE to have a physical one to carry on doing so .
    Until Monday? Why so much Venom against Muskett for no good reason, bizarre!! Sounds to me like you agree with Packham and the leftie anti newly in charge of NE.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...gal-challenge/

Gove needs sacking for shoe horning him into the job.

https://www.tonyjuniper.com/

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/wwf-a...-and-campaigns

https://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/directory/tony-juniper
    Last edited by Spanner.; 26-04-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    Until Monday? Why so much Venom against Muskett for no good reason, bizarre!! Sounds to me like you agree with Packham and the leftie anti newly in charge of NE.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...gal-challenge/

Gove needs sacking for shoe horning him into the job.

https://www.tonyjuniper.com/

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/wwf-a...-and-campaigns

https://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/directory/tony-juniper
    I have no venom against anyone and you are very wrong in thinking I agree with Packham . I dislike him with a passion .

I know all about Tony Juniper . If you look in this thread I have posted a few things about him and also that grove proposed him. Post #171

I also posted this

The Alliance hit out ahead of a hearing on Tuesday of the environment, food and rural affairs committee, where Mr Juniper will be questioned about his suitability for the role.

In 2010 Mr Juniper stood as prospective parliamentary candidate for the Green Party on a manifesto that pledged to extend the ban on hunting with dogs to other blood sports.

Defra said he had not declared any significant political activity in the past five years.
    A spokesman said: “Tony Juniper has a wide range of experience of working with WWF, the Prince of Wales, Friends of the Earth and many others, and the environment, food and rural affairs and environmental audit committees will soon have the opportunity to carry out further scrutiny on his suitability for the post.”
    Last edited by bighit; 26-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.

There is huge amount of shooting and related subjects online. Different countries use different methods and in the case of vermin have different critters. In Australia its parrots, maybe we will have the same parrot problem in London shortly.
    Sure there will be absolute idiots, just like those showing driving cars in irresponsible ways. Doesn't mean banning driving.

I don't break the law.

In this case the law making has made a complete hash up and failed. It needs to be rectified fast.
    If its found that those in position have abused the trust they should hold then I hope they are sacked at least. As for Peckham he may think he is being clever. I dearly hope that his efforts fail and when the system sorts itself out its in shooters favour.
    As for someone putting a gamekeepers gibbet on his gate then thats a very old fashioned method of protest...oh so country traditional. I really don't have a problem with it. He knew what he was doing and I'm sure man enough. (Other threatening or abuse then I would tell all to refrain, but this will have annoyed many for it is annoying.)

This little charade may cost the government a few million. More money down the drain.
    It was a European directive that had to be enforced. The directive was that government bodies had to prove a bird was a pest. The UK passed that obligation onto the land owners with the open license. Landowners were given reassurances that previous practices wouldn't be interfered with. This is a bureaucratic mess of its own making.
    Of interest governing bodies are not allowed to write legislation that makes people criminals. It looks like for some years thats what they have done.

Just another nail why its time to get out of the EU.

Lastly, maybe you don't have a big enough garden??? I don't like watching football, maybe that should be banned in gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Sure there will be absolute idiots, just like those showing driving cars in irresponsible ways. Doesn't mean banning driving.

I don't break the law.

In this case the law making has made a complete hash up and failed. It needs to be rectified fast.
    I assume it's meant to say showing off in cars ? Those people who do so might individually be banned though

Under the 81 Wildlife & Countryside act you most probably ARE breaking the law shooting birds in your garden, just because you personally think protecting song bird nests gives you a reason, unless you can prove an endangered species is involved it probably isn't legally a good enough case, and that is exactly why the general licence has been challenged.

I'm not going to argue the toss over it I'm just pointing out that your opinion of the generality of what was previously covered would probably not be good enough to get this new licence granted covering "your garden" and therefore was also outside the intended remit of the "general licence".

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I'm not that actually stands scrutiny either way.

On both sides of the point there's a complete lack of objectivity, reflection and supporting qualified opinion, from some quarters. The irony is that on a lot of ground, both sides, if taken at their word, agree. I am not sure why one side should be thought of as having less integrity or qualification than another unless there is actual evidence to support that view.
    You shoud be a politician
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I assume it's meant to say showing off in cars ? Those people who do so might individually be banned though

Under the 81 Wildlife & Countryside act you most probably ARE breaking the law shooting birds in your garden, just because you personally think protecting song bird nests gives you a reason, unless you can prove an endangered species is involved it probably isn't legally a good enough case, and that is exactly why the general licence has been challenged.

I'm not going to argue the toss over it I'm just pointing out that your opinion of the generality of what was previously covered would probably not be good enough to get this new licence granted covering "your garden" and therefore was also outside the intended remit of the "general licence".
    Where did endangered species come into this?!

The new GL for corvids is worded along the lines of 'or you have reason to believe such damage would occurr' if applied to the flora and fauna magpie GL then that covers shooting magpies in your garden during the nesting season.

The GL has not and will not be specifically for endangered species!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Where did endangered species come into this?!

The new GL for corvids is worded along the lines of 'or you have reason to believe such damage would occurr' if applied to the flora and fauna magpie GL then that covers shooting magpies in your garden during the nesting season.

The GL has not and will not be specifically for endangered species!
    I agree some very strange comments on this thread considering it is a Shooting Website!!

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    “Because it’s what magpies do” wouldn’t be a suitable reason under the general licence.

Magpies visit my garden because I put food out for birds. What you’re saying is I can now shoot magpies under the GL in my garden?

If I want magpies to stop visiting I can try non lethal methods first. Remove the food for one, or scaring.

I don’t shoot anything in my garden as I don’t believe I am legally entitled to do so.

Yes this is a shooting (airgun?) forum, but let’s not forget that many of the members shoot targets or plink.