Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Packham gets General License revoked!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    You may be right, but the guff of how to get it done must have cost a bob or two. I was taking to a Night Vision supplier and they sold several thousand units to both sides of the argument. Its as if no one had seen badgers before and needed to go and see for themselves.
    Again just take Badgers off the endangered list and under vermin or some open easy system for control and see how it goes. Only those that really have an issue with them would bother.
    But again they would have been bought by people shooting or the farmers not DEFRA.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    But again they would have been bought by people shooting or the farmers not DEFRA.
    Thats the funny thing they weren't. Council employees bought them and Ant's in larger numbers than farmers or shooters. Because they wanted to see Badgers or "police" what was going on.
    You couldn't make it up.

Iirc DEFRA bought a bulk order to then pass on to the shooters at cost to ensure they had kit of an approved standard.

Thats the funny thing they weren't. Council employees bought them and Ant's in larger numbers than farmers or shooters. Because they wanted to see Badgers or "police" what was going on.
    You couldn't make it up.
    No, I realise the antis were buying it but I discounted them as those costs didn’t go towards dead animals. Plus the antis can’t afford thermal....
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Iirc DEFRA bought a bulk order to then pass on to the shooters at cost to ensure they had kit of an approved standard.
    No, other than monitor’s all kit bought by the farmers in the zone, and there is no ‘approved standard’, some people, including the keeper are lamping still
    Thanks for looking

No, I realise the antis were buying it but I discounted them as those costs didn’t go towards dead animals. Plus the antis can’t afford thermal....
    Maybe they cant but their benefactors can

The process is being made all the easier on Surrey Heath where Brian May’s Save Me charity, Harper Asprey Wildlife Rescue and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society are deploying FLIR thermal imaging cameras to detect the hidden animals.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...-Bonfire-Night

Apparently he supplied the badger cull sabs with them too .

Strange when he is against badger culls but also helps stopping hedgehogs get burnt in bonfires.
    Last edited by bighit; 29-04-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Maybe they cant but their benefactors can

The process is being made all the easier on Surrey Heath where Brian May’s Save Me charity, Harper Asprey Wildlife Rescue and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society are deploying FLIR thermal imaging cameras to detect the hidden animals.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/natur...-Bonfire-Night

Apparently he supplied the badger cull sabs with them too .

Strange when he is against badger culls but also helps stopping hedgehogs get burnt in bonfires.
    Yes there were a few floating around apparently, they were using them to find trapped animals in the mornings, easier to find a trap with a great big heat source in it. NV very useful not for watching but for spotting other people’s IR so you can locate them!
    Thanks for looking

Don't under estimate the "charitable" buying power of Anti's. They bought plenty.

Don't under estimate the "charitable" buying power of Anti's. They bought plenty.
    That's why they have crowdfunders and celebrity members in their groups also.

The total from one crowdfunder here

Funded
    on 22nd November 2017
    £15,295
    pledged of £15,000 stretch target from 354 pledges

Can't link to the page due to dead stuff.

from another
    https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/...ewcalltoaction

£9,150

raised of £9,200 target by 113 supporters

They have loads of pages set up.

Wild Justice and all the other groups will do the same . Crowdfunders and other fundraising ventures.

Challenging the casual killing of birds
    by Wild Justice
    Environment Lawyers: Leigh Day United Kingdom

Wild Justice
    Case Owner
    A not-for-profit seeking justice for wildlife in the courts
    Funded
    on 15th March 2019
    £36,000
    pledged of £36,000 stretch target from 1,096 pledges

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/wild-justice1/

Ruth Tingay is one of the Wild Justice founders and here she is raising money to stop Raven culling

Justice for Ravens! #Justice4Ravens
    by Ruth Tingay, on behalf of the Scottish Raptor Study Group
    Conservation Lawyers: Balfour + Manson LLP United Kingdom

Ruth Tingay, on behalf of the Scottish Raptor Study Group
    Case Owner
    The Scottish Raptor Study Group monitors birds of prey (& ravens) across Scotland for conservation purposes. Please visit our website: www.scottishraptorstudygroup.org
    Funded
    on 05th June 2018
    £26,765
    pledged of £25,000 stretch target from 1,087 pledges

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/justice4ravens/

They are not short of money these anti groups when they can get money via crowd funding .
    Last edited by bighit; 30-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

They didn’t buy enough or they’d be finding the shooters a lot easier!
    Thanks for looking

Chris packham

Due to the massive upset he has recently caused I decided to look into things he stands up for. It seems to me he is a very confused man more than anything else. Here are a few examples I have come across:
    He doesn't agree with people using illegal trapping methods to catch sparrow hawks. A fair point in my eyes, I absolutely back him on this as I don’t want any harm to any birds of prey. Now, his answer to solving the problem........ ban grouse shooting what a stupid thing to come out with! How about prosecute the person setting illegal traps!
    Next I found, he wants cats to be locked indoors because they kill masses of birds per year, especially in breeding season..... on the other hand however he completely disagrees with fox hunting. If he thinks for one second that cats kill more birds than foxes do he must be deluded!
    I’m sure there’s other on here that have seen recent videos of alive lambs with eyes pecked out, rabbits been pecked to death, and other vicious attack’s caused by crows and magpies..... how does he see this as acceptable, but not a clean kill via a gun?
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

He was on the TV this morning , he has had death threats the police say they have 10258 suspects.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

They didn’t buy enough or they’d be finding the shooters a lot easier!
    Just because they have the kit doesn't make them hunters

Cats do kill a lot of vermin, and loads of birds too. Its the high density of cats in urban areas that is a detrimental threat to birds. For all the bird feeders the cats sort of cancel the effort out. I have two cats, usually have three.

Though I would have Sparrow Hawks taken of the endangered list, I absolutely against illegal shooting of anything. I know of no Scottish Estate that does it any more, not for a long time. They sell an experience, adventure, and clients seeing birds of prey is positive to that experience. Heck I've know Gamekeepers to do armed watch over Golden Eagle nests so proud they are to have them.
    I often leave a rabbit for my Buzzards.

The point of taking species off lists is for more flexibility. Too many of anything is bad.

"Cute" always sells and Anti's cash in on that. Got nothing to do with good wildlife management.
    Last edited by Muskett; 30-04-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Just because they have the kit doesn't hake them hunters
    Very true mate!
    Thanks for looking

BASC condemns threats made to Chris Packham
    Apr 30, 2019

BASC has unequivocally condemned threats made to Chris Packham which he revealed in a television interview earlier today.

The BBC presenter revealed this morning on ITV’s Good Morning Britain that the police are currently investigating threats of a “serious nature” which he said were part of an ongoing campaign against him and his home since the revocation of the general licences last week.

Natural England has said its decision to revoke the licences was in direct response to a legal challenge from the group Wild Justice, whose directors include Packham.

BASC previously condemned targeted, illegal behaviour after Packham tweeted a picture of dead crows hanging on a gate outside his house.

In response to Packham’s latest comments during today’s interview with Piers Morgan, Steve Bloomfield, BASC’s executive director of operations and shooting, said: “We have already stated in unequivocal terms that we do not condone any illegal behaviour. And for people to continue to behave in such a manner is utterly unacceptable.

“It will be no surprise to anyone that we don’t agree with Chris Packham on how best to manage the countryside, in fact we probably couldn’t be further apart at this stage. But the sort of behaviour and threats described by Packham does not help anyone’s cause and must stop.”

However, BASC has challenged Packham’s assertion during the TV interview that farmers have been ‘misinformed’ in the row over the withdrawal of general licences without consultation or notice from Natural England.

The UK’s largest shooting organisation has criticised ITV for allowing Packham’s statements to go unchallenged by countryside experts during the broadcast.

BASC had agreed last Friday to take part in a live debate with Packham and Morgan and had already booked travel and accommodation for staff, but were cancelled by the broadcaster at the 11th hour yesterday after it said Packham agreed a deal with GMB and the Daily Mirror newspaper.

The programme published a short statement from BASC during the broadcast which urged environment secretary Michael Gove to step in and show leadership as fury and anger builds among the rural community.

But BASC said the broadcaster had also failed rural England by cancelling the televised debate with Packham.

Garry Doolan, BASC’s deputy director of communications, said: “That is simply fake news by Packham. Farmers and the rest of the rural community could not be clearer on where the blame lies for the current fiasco and their anger and frustration is palpable.

“ITV did not allow representation of the reality of the situation being faced by those in the countryside. ITV has failed us all by not allowing the rural community to have a voice in that debate with Chris Packham.”