Thread: BSA Goldstar under lever .22

BSA Goldstar under lever .22

Can anyone assist plse.

I own a very very nice boxed Goldstar that I had professional rebuilt early this year.

It shoots really smooth but I'm not getting much power.

Just put a quick 25 through in the garden, then a quick crony test using my " Skan "

Defiant Vintage 14.5 g

1, 488 fps 7.7 FTP

2, 491 fps 7.75 FTP

3, 489 fps 7.7 FTP

It's probably had 2/300 pellets through now.

Best I've achieved was around 8.9 FTP with the lighter Hobbies.,

Any thoughts on how I can squeeze it up to 10.5 / 11 FTP.

I realise power discussions are a grey area so maybe someone could PM me or at least say what the issue might be perhaps ? Or am I expecting a lot from a springer gold star ?

Sadly my shooting time is greatly reduced these days to the odd 20 mins here and there, due to my other half having a nasty accident , so I can't really get the free time to take it to my gunsmith.

Many thanks

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    in order of likelihood, I;d guess (and it is a guess) you have a leak, or piston seal too tight, or spring too weak.

All of the above would tend to give more power with lighter pellets.

How is the firing cycle ? Is it very gentle / smooth ? Is it slow or fast ? Any smoke ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Had one a while ago with erratic/low output issues. Main culprit was barrel O ring seal and trapped pellet debris if memory serves. Can check notes if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    in order of likelihood, I;d guess (and it is a guess) you have a leak, or piston seal too tight, or spring too weak.

All of the above would tend to give more power with lighter pellets.

How is the firing cycle ? Is it very gentle / smooth ? Is it slow or fast ? Any smoke ?
    I can't recall how it shot pre-service other than it seemed to make more power. I think my chosen smith would have said if the spring was in poor condition. The gun was stripped and re-sealed and lubed. To look at the rifle you'd think it had never been used, the blueing and wood are both 9.9 /10 so I'd be amazed if the spring was knackered ?

It cocks nice, very smooth firm ish motion, fires nice and sounds right to me. No boings or rattles ect.

The mag cycles lovely as well.

It's just disappointing on the power / fps..

Would more pellets through it maybe help ?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Had one a while ago with erratic/low output issues. Main culprit was barrel O ring seal and trapped pellet debris if memory serves. Can check notes if it helps.
    Thanks.

Can't see it being debris as its been apart and serviced.

Barrel " o " ring seal ..

Was that changed ?

I can't remember, but again if it was faulty it would have been mentioned at the time.

It's a shame because it feels right other than the power.

I cant see it needing more than 2/300 shots to bed in, and I doubt the power would increase by such a margin anyway.

Just checked our scribbles. Barrel seal was defective due to pellet debris in the O ring groove (photo) preventing correct alignment. Pellet probe then damaged seal.
    Only twigged it 'cos couldn't get new seal to sit neatly. So made a gizmo to clear the groove.
    The synthetic buffers(?) inside the piston had crumbled too which reduced spring preload. main seal nicked at edge
    Spring spec. as found. 253 mm x 20.8 x 3.25 wire x 33.5 coils x 36 lb.f/inch rate

Reassembled with new seals/buffers and original spring. 40 mm preload. ME 10+ with AA 16gn

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Just checked our scribbles. Barrel seal was defective due to pellet debris in the O ring groove (photo) preventing correct alignment. Pellet probe then damaged seal.
    Only twigged it 'cos couldn't get new seal to sit neatly. So made a gizmo to clear the groove.
    The synthetic buffers(?) inside the piston had crumbled too which reduced spring preload. main seal nicked at edge
    Spring spec. as found. 253 mm x 20.8 x 3.25 wire x 33.5 coils x 36 lb.f/inch rate

Reassembled with new seals/buffers and original spring. 40 mm preload. ME 10+ with AA 16gn

Thanks for taking the time to share this info.

I can't see mine suffering the same problem with debris, as I say it was stripped and serviced professionally.

I'm guessing you can't see or replace the barrel seal without taking it apart ? I don't recall it being mentioned after the service, not sure if its standard practice to replace it. I'll just carry on at 7 ft e until things improve at home and I can get time for the gun to be looked at.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I can't see mine suffering the same problem with debris, as I say it was stripped and serviced professionally.
    please don't assume.. the gun obviously has a problem, so assuming the guy servicing it did everything right and missed nothing is a proven flawed assumption.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l would ask the person who did the service-rebuild if he checked the power output after he did it, as l would think that would have been standard practice.

I have a Goldstar and the biggest problem it has is keeping it legal. Would suggest a strip to make sure the sliding cylinder isn’t butting up against flattened pellets that have gone the wrong way, the seals and spring can obviously be checked at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    I have a Goldstar and the biggest problem it has is keeping it legal. Would suggest a strip to make sure the sliding cylinder isn’t butting up against flattened pellets that have gone the wrong way, the seals and spring can obviously be checked at the same time.
    Agreed! The one we stripped had suffered magazine /pellet fouling. Debris everywhere.