Thread: Recoilless air pistols

Recoilless air pistols

I just watched Matt's excellent history of recoilless air pistols video again and it occurred to me that this was a sweet spot for air pistol design and manufacture.

Before that time, although the build standards were generally superb, the designs were mostly based on older recoiling models with modern tweaks. (They also grew more complicated. Look at the FWB65's trigger mechanism, for example, and compare that with the simple insides of a Webley.) After that time, economies had crept in.

Right now, we can buy match guns that commanded huge sums when new at bargain basement prices, and with a bit of tlc they'll go on for years.

Happy days!

Last edited by Garvin; 13-09-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Garvin,

Indeed

I can now buy the rifles & pistols I couldn't afford (but seriously desired) back in the 1970s & 80s

Trouble is, I also realise how many years of shooting with these sublime rifles & pistols that I have missed by not having them !

Ah well, I have them now

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Yes amazing mechanisms but the guns also grew more complex, larger and heavier. And of course much more accurate. These guns now started to look far different “normal” pistols, a bit strange? I had a FWB 65 early in my collecting and recently sold it. Yes the most accurate pistol I had but I’m not trying to be a Olympian. Give me a compact blued Webley Senior with a little recoil and I’m much happier?

I enjoyed watching the video .
    I have a FWB65 and the model 6.
    The FWB65 is my favourite.
    I do like the Single stroke fwb .
    Les..

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

recoiless springers

A very interesting video, I'm one of those old enough to have shot them when they were state of the art, and they were/are, all superb engineering.

I bought my FWB 65 new in 1972, and used it nationally and internationally right up until they started to be out dated by more modern designs. Not sure the date (old age memory!) but I did change to a Walther CP1 (Co2) and had one of the first into the UK, but the good old British Jobsworths soon stopped that, with them being deemed unacceptable at most UK open meetings as they were on FAC due to the technically "noxious gas" propellant, so in the year I had it, I was forced to use my trusty FWB 65 at most UK meetings, and eventually disposed of the CP1 due to that issue.

I still have my FWB 65, they were then, and still are a masterpiece of engineering, I'm not a collector, I just kept all my pistols, when I upgraded, and I still have all of them, except the CP1 which had to be sold to get it off my FAC, but when the law changed I did buy a CP2 mostly for nostalgia, so I don't have a collection, I just have ten pistols that made up my history, that's my excuse for having them anyway!

Any one who collects, must have a FWB 65, it should be compulsory!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?