Thread: Odd Variant of UK Hy-Score Rear Sight appears to be from the factory

Odd Variant of UK Hy-Score Rear Sight appears to be from the factory

I posted pics of my newly acquired UK Hy-Score and it had the old Hy-Score sight that was modified for windage adjustments. See below:

It was questioned at the time of posting that this sight was not original but probably a personal modification as none others had been seen like this?

Saw on the net a pistol that was for sale at a English gun shop that had the identical sight? It was however broken. I could only screen shot the pics.

Have to assume this was a very short term experiment before they came out with the completely new rail sight? Yes small point but it does give me some satisfaction to know that the sight is original. And of course I would make the case that this is the rarest variant of the pistol (only 2 known) making it just about priceless. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-09-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Sorry to disappoint

That looks like a trim clip, used on older cars to hold door seals or chrome trim along window edges. Just file a slot and it would do. Not very neat, if you adjust elevation you'll probably cut your thumb!
    Possibly a club shooter with some engineering experience, might have done a few for friends? David

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    That looks like a trim clip, used on older cars to hold door seals or chrome trim along window edges. Just file a slot and it would do. Not very neat, if you adjust elevation you'll probably cut your thumb!
    Possibly a club shooter with some engineering experience, might have done a few for friends? David
    Could very well be but why would you do this given you can drift the sight in the dovetail? And then a friend says that’s a great idea do mine? Just seems so odd and then to have two?
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-09-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Hy Score

Within the last three months I have sold four Hy Score Sporters with them all having this type of sight and three had the clip .
    The Brocken sighted one was reattached and I sold on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
    One of the pistols bib not have the fancy filigree engraving on the trigger area which was unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmick View Post
    Within the last three months I have sold four Hy Score Sporters with them all having this type of sight and three had the clip .
    The Brocken sighted one was reattached and I sold on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
    One of the pistols bib not have the fancy filigree engraving on the trigger area which was unusual.
    Here is the pics of that sold pistol showing the clip. Unfortunately my rare variation is getting more common! Lol
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....light=Hy-score
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Given its relatively short production period, it seems a bit strange that this model had three different variants of rear sight together with this sub-variant, especially as it probably wouldn't have been considered a serious target air pistol.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Given its relatively short production period, it seems a bit strange that this model had three different variants of rear sight together with this sub-variant, especially as it probably wouldn't have been considered a serious target air pistol.
    Brian
    I think they were struggling with sights that were failing and were trying fixes until they finally tried building there own rail system to cure it? The sights on the Hy-Score were alway a weak point. You see many US guns for sale with sights issues.

You may have already seen these BSA advertisements for the standard Hyscore 800 Air Pistol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    You may have already seen these BSA advertisements for the standard Hyscore 800 Air Pistol.

Brian
    Cool never seen those!

Looks like it added a little more height to the back sight to lift pellet impact point. Windage would not work as the slot underneath would be covered.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Looks like it added a little more height to the back sight to lift pellet impact point. Windage would not work as the slot underneath would be covered.

Baz
    I assumed they widened the slot on the original sight and then the clip sight would be able to adjust inbetween. Mine was zeroed so I haven’t tested that theory. But if you look at my pic closely you don’t see the edge of that original sight, when looking through the clip, had to have widened it? I think they were having lots of issues with the sight moving in that tube dovetail so they fixed the sight in the dovetail and the clip gave the ability to still adjust for windage?

I prefer the look of this lower metal sight, over the plastic block rail replacement on the last model. But they cured two ills with the new sight: it was more stable, and it was much higher front and rear to sight over the silencer. With the low sight the silencer can get in your sight plane.
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-09-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Yes, I see that the one in the pic is set on a low position, and as you say it it is shooting fine they obviously had no need to add height. I agree with your point earlier that fitting the silencer makes a huge difference to the impact point. Got a nice cased pistol for gingernut on here that shoots excellent groups in .22 without the silencer fitted. Sight looks a bit chunky though.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD