Thread: Cadets Versus Meteors

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Cadets Versus Meteors

Which are the better BSA? I know that the Meteor is more powerful (and I am talking about the earlier Meteors I-IV, not the modern ones), but was the Cadet a better rifle in terms of accuracy potential, trigger and overall engineering?

Or were they the same? That rolled cylinder on the Meteor was a money-saver but it's really a bit cheap given the pedigree... and how much power did the filter in the transfer port cost the Cadet?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Which are the better BSA? I know that the Meteor is more powerful (and I am talking about the earlier Meteors I-IV, not the modern ones), but was the Cadet a better rifle in terms of accuracy potential, trigger and overall engineering?

Or were they the same? That rolled cylinder on the Meteor was a money-saver but it's really a bit cheap given the pedigree... and how much power did the filter in the transfer port cost the Cadet?
    Well for me l would go with the meteor Mk1 as it is a more stylish rifle and more powerfull over the Cadet. including it has an adjustable rear sight. plus you can fit a scope. but if you wont a rifle that will last longer and being a better quality build and engineering it has to be the Cadet. having said that l would go for a Cadet Major over both of them.

The Cadet was better made from proper steel components, whilst the Meteor used stampings to keep costs down. That said, I think the early Meteor is the better gun - it is a league above the Cadet IMHO.

Kind regards,

John

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

I dont think the filter in the transfer port cost the cadet much power--and they often come loose anyway. It is more to do with the long transfer port. Maybe one of the tuners could machine the end and make a conical head like the early Airsporters? I'd be interested to know how much difference it would make.
    I have heard that BSA tried a .22 barrel on a Cadet Major and it was so low in power they gave up on it.
    The Meteor has a better (in terms of use rather than longevity) trigger than the Cadet or Major. Both the Cadet and Major have a trigger that engages directly onto the piston rod (ie no sear) although the Major has an adjuster to reduce engagement.
    The Meteor has an adjustable rear sight, which the Cadet does not (for elevation). I have never been a fan of the "ramp" sights and prefer the Mk2 Meteor to the Mk1 for this reason.
    The Cadet has a heavy trigger which was a selling point in the advertisiing blurb.
    I prefer the build quality of the Cadet-------It probably passes the "Club Test" ---Like a Webley pistol, you could probably club someone to death with it and still plink with it afterwards

I was very disappointed when I finally saw a Bsa Merlin. It is like something out of a Christmas cracker Imagine if they had made an underlever based on the Cadet! A sort of baby Airsporter.

I think the real test of the Cadet is that there are so many of them still about , despite the best efforts of young lads, use on fairgrounds and "engineers" and "tuners"
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

From a production point of view the Meteor is better, definitely built to a price, but that doesn't detract from the pleasure of ownership.
    The earlier solidly constructed Cadets make them seem a poor relation when laid side by side.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The Cadet was better made from proper steel components, whilst the Meteor used stampings to keep costs down. That said, I think the early Meteor is the better gun - it is a league above the Cadet IMHO.

Kind regards,

John
    agreed. and the cadet trigger makes the meteor's look good
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thumbs up

I'd rather have one Cadet than two Meteor's

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I have heard that BSA tried a .22 barrel on a Cadet Major and it was so low in power they gave up on it.
    The Meteor has a better (in terms of use rather than longevity) trigger than the Cadet or Major. Both the Cadet and Major have a trigger that engages directly onto the piston rod (ie no sear) although the Major has an adjuster to reduce engagement.

I was very disappointed when I finally saw a Bsa Merlin. It is like something out of a Christmas cracker Imagine if they had made an underlever based on the Cadet! A sort of baby Airsporter.
    I din't know it had a direct trigger - that's really poor design.

I thought exactly the same thing about the Merlin. What a POS! but done in the style of the Airsporter it would have been a jewel.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I din't know it had a direct trigger - that's really poor design.

I thought exactly the same thing about the Merlin. What a POS! but done in the style of the Airsporter it would have been a jewel.
    Yes---both Cadet and Major have a direct trigger--with no sear------------------although the Major has an adjuster--which when you think about it---they could have done with just a screw on the trigger.

I like the Merlin but accept it for what it is. When I read about people "Tuning " them to 6ft lbs + it makes me Shudder. That cocking arm thing slips off the lug on the piston and the action lifts out of the stock---taking half the stock with it.

Yeah --and an underlever Cadet --as a basic (but expensive) Junior rifle would have been so robust that more would have probably survived than had been made!
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

When I was a kid, the fairgrounds were full if BSA Cadets which seemed to go on forever. I doubt the Meteor would have been rugged enough to take that kind of punishment. Having said that, I still remember the thrill of getting a Mk1 Meteor equipped with that then amazing telescopic sight for my fifteenth birthday present. Although I had lots of fun with my Meteor, it could never match the quality and grace of my BSA Cadet Major.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-09-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Smile

I really dislike the Meteors with the tinplate like construction yet I have three of them!

I've a mk1, A mk2, Both of which seem to perform smashin and a mk5 that's only worthy of the scrap pile but then it has been fired whilst the barrel was open!!

It split the stock completely in two!, It also seemed to have broken the intermediate (short) cocking links as some home made and bent to buggery ones were fitted!
    The plastic cylinder end cover has been chopped righ back to something akin to a flat cap (No idea why unless someone couldn't fit a scope for it!), All in all it's the worst rifle i've ever seen, When you tighten the forend stock bolts the barrel swings more than the pendulum in our mantle clock!!

Nasty things

Luckily I found a spare articulated cocking link from when I bought four wrecked Meteors that came from a Scout camp!, I managed to make two decent ones of the four and had bits all over the place left over!!

I think all I have left now are a cpouple of barrels somewhere!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/