Thread: Webley Mk.3 sling

Webley Mk.3 sling

Hi all....does anyone have any info or photos of the sling that was offered fot the Webley Mk.3
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    Hi all....does anyone have any info or photos of the sling that was offered fot the Webley Mk.3
    M.
    That’s a new one on me. I’m not sure there was one. You could certainly order MkIIIs from the factory with “eyes” (as they were known) for sling mounting. But an actual Webley-branded sling?

It is mentioned in Thrale's book on page 76....it was 6 shillings.

I don't know who made it...that is what I'm trying to find out

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    It is mentioned in Thrale's book on page 76....it was 6 shillings.
    You are right.

I have no idea. Maybe Chris T does? Though I think if he did, he’d have mentioned it in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    You are right.

I have no idea. Maybe Chris T does? Though I think if he did, he’d have mentioned it in the book.

An educated guess would be PARKER-HALE, who made many , and who supplied aperture sights to Webley - and BSA come to that.

Mk 3 sling

As a lad in 1960 I had a sling fitted to my mk3. It was a plain brown web sling 2" wide and adjustable in length and the two metal sling guides at either end were fitted with swivel eyes through which screws attached the sling to two of the three rings fitted to the rifle.

The front ring was attached to the underside of the cocking lever which had to be sent off to Webley for it to be welded in place and the whole assembly re-blued by them. AR45 (the front guard/securing dolt) was replaced by a longer special bolt with a ring on the end and a third bolt was screwed in to the underside of the stock close to the heel.

The front two sling locations were for the shooting position and the front and rear locations were for the rifle carrying position.

Hope this helps.

Aubrey

Thanks all for the replies....mine has a one inch wide tan leather webbed sling which has "Made in Spain" on it so probably not original (not sure).
    Aubrey you are correct about the location of the swivels ...there was also another option , instead of the extended bolt at the front of the trigger guard you could order one that looked like the one on the underlever but welded to the guard itself.

Interesting thread, as I don't think I've ever come across a genuine Mk.3 sling.
    As Chris said, Parker Hale were a Likely source, but I wonder if Brady could have been another.
    Amongst my Mk.3 spares I actually have the sling mounts for brazing/silver soldering to the cocking lever, plus the long replacement bolts with sling mount.
    What I don't have are any original screw in sling mounts for the stock, but there are plenty of alternatives available.