Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a BSA PCP

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Pics not displying just a no entry sign
    Try now, I’ve relinked them I think it’s ok, they’re in google photos and I think I’ve set them to share but not sure. They show for me but it might be because it’s my account.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Try now, I’ve relinked them I think it’s ok, they’re in google photos and I think I’ve set them to share but not sure. They show for me but it might be because it’s my account.

Norm
    Still no entry sign
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Still no entry sign
    Oh B****cks, that’s most odd I even signed out and checked it without signing in ie as a guest (?) and they were there ???
    I’ll have to find a different host maybe, you do realise when you can finally see it, it’s going to be an anticlimax don’t you

To be continued.

Norm

Still no entry sign
    I can’t seem to put the images directly into the post but I can link to the site where they are !

Third time lucky, try this

Thatsmypicture.co.uk and go to the odds and sods album

Norm
    Last edited by Mr.Fixit-Norm; 04-03-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Hi Norm

cant yet see the pictures but my internet is very slow so could be that, looking forward to seeing the pictures though, ive a .177 hornet in a cs stock , fac length airtube , safety removed and aftermarket trigger its bloody awesome. Sods law though i think the reg may have just pulled a wobbly , its a little inconsistent so might just get John to have a look at it, the previous said he worked his magic on it before which i can well believe

kind rgds
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    Hi Norm

cant yet see the pictures but my internet is very slow so could be that, looking forward to seeing the pictures though, ive a .177 hornet in a cs stock , fac length airtube , safety removed and aftermarket trigger its bloody awesome. Sods law though i think the reg may have just pulled a wobbly , its a little inconsistent so might just get John to have a look at it, the previous said he worked his magic on it before which i can well believe

kind rgds
    craig
    Try now Craig, I forgot to make them public - doh

Don’t expect too much, it is homemade and my first go

The wood only cost me £10 and it does what I need it to do and although I look after my guns, if it did get scratched at least I wouldn’t be too upset.
    Now I’m retired I may have a go at making another one some time, or may be strip and possibly reshape this one a bit.

I wish I’d had John fit a longer air tube as I only get 34 shots at 23ftlb, although it’s enough for an afternoons pigeon or rabbit shooting.

Incidentally, when I picked it up originally from him, he said it’s ok to fill to 250bar , he said the air cylinders are tested to 350bar and the difference between 232 and 250 is an extra 4 shots.

Does yours have adjustable power like mine ?

Incidentally, mine started to get inconsistent which is what made me think it had a leak and why he serviced it a couple of years back.

Norm

Still can't see them
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Still can't see them
    Not sure why you can’t ? My partner opened my website on her iPhone and the pics came straight up ?? Most odd

Mind you I’ve had all sorts of issues with my site since one.com decided to move all my pics and albums to one.photo

I’m waiting for my son to help me set up a raspberry Pi as server here at home so I can host my own site and have total control, I only use it as a store for photos I want to show people so it shouldn’t be difficult. I just need to move my domain name to a cheaper provider and get the software installed on the pi

My son is an IT programmer and he’s got a plan for dealing with the IP address changes, but it’s a bit beyond my knowledge

I’m hoping to get it sorted within the next couple of months but he lives in Norwich and is quite busy with his work at the moment.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Louis, the owner, is a member here too.
    Thanks Rich.
    @ Evert, indeed, a Techstar.
    Although I was using a .25" Scorpion barrel and cylinder on this one.
    It is now back to original spec: .22", 18.5" barrel and long cylinder.
    JB set the valve up for me, giving a nice and flat shot string at about 28 ft/lbs.
    Coincidentally I have just found a second one (lying in the sun!).
    Techstar's were designed by JB for the American market. The importer Compasseco wanted a high powered, budget friendly hunting rifle
    with open sights. They also sold the gun with a Hornet stock: this was the more luxurious version. Also in my collection
    The name Techstar (John told me that it is actually Tech Star) was given by Compasseco. It fitted in their portfolio (many of their guns started with Tech, see the Blue Book of Airguns).
    The Hornet differs in that it is regulated and it was designed to be a sub 12 ft/lbs airgun.
    A few "Tech's" were sold in the Netherlands (grey imports). They have a cult status back home: for about 300 pounds new, they were great value for money. Very accurate.
    Kind regards, Louis

Last edited by jirushi; 06-03-2020 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Thanks Louis!
    To me, that is perhaps the nicest looking PCP ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Thanks Louis!
    To me, that is perhaps the nicest looking PCP ever made.
    I agree, it is very nice in its simplicity. You might also like the look of the Spitfire and Firebird pcp's. They were all sold around 2005 iirc.
    The Techstar is a lot easier to service though.

This is a Firebird X-press. It came with two barrels; .177 and .22. Changing caliber is done in a matter of seconds; the stock does not have to be removed.
    There are two holes in the cocking link to access the barrel fixing allen screws. Then there's a white line on the breech end of the barrel, and on the breech.
    Match the lines up, screw the barrel in place, and you're ready to go. The barrel lengths are such that a caliber swap shouldn't require a power adjustment. I still need to test this theory. The power can be adjusted with an allen key, through a little hole in the black end cap. The Firebird has the rolling breech mechanism from the Goldstar. I prefer the simple break barrel design of the Spitfire tbh. By breaking the barrel about 30 degrees, you cock the hammer. In the Firebird this is done by pulling the little lever.
    The advantage of the Firebird is that you can swap calibers quicker, and that you do not get barrel wobble. I have one (badly abused) "Spit" with a slight barrel wobble. A known problem with the BSA barrel fork. Anyway, I am getting carried away. This Firebird does 40 very consistent (regulator-like) shots at 11.4 ft/lbs with 15.89 gr JSB's.

My dad has a Spitfire, and I have shot that rifle quite a bit, but it does not speak to me like the Tech Star does.

I like my Ultras, and have been on the lookout for a Hornet for some while, but the classic stock design of the Tech Star adds the charm of the Super Meteor to the modern PCP design.

Still can't see them
    Are you using internet explorer ? if so try changing to a different browser like firefox.

Louis, have you still got the Firebird with many barrels you got from me in pic below ? I have just bought another minter, like brand new which is going to be a .30.
    At 11 ft.lb. should be able to see the pellet in flight !

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Louis, have you still got the Firebird with many barrels you got from me in pic below ? I have just bought another minter, like brand new which is going to be a .30.
    At 11 ft.lb. should be able to see the pellet in flight !

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Hi Baz,
    Nice, a .30" Firebird!
    No I stupidly sold that lovely one. To a friend, so at least it's in good hands. I managed to buy the X-press back from him just a week ago.
    I went through a collection reduction frenzy last summer. I regret it.
    The X-press is great to shoot. I had a lot of fun with your Firebird as well. Especially with the .20" barrel you made for it. That was really nice.
    The X-press does about 40 shots per fill in .22. Not bad. It's very accurate with the choked barrel. But the loading of the pellets is a bit fiddly. More so than with the Spitfire.