Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA light pattern - possible to fit a shorter stock?

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Hi Al,

Yes it's for a smaller person (me!). I'm only 5' tall and it just doesn't shoulder well.

Although it's not a perfect example, the stock is actually really quite good so it seems a shame to butcher it seeing as it's lasted untouched for nearly 100 years! Hopefully a 13 1/4 will come up at some point and I can keep mine or move it on

Cheers,

Matt
    Hi Matt,

It may be possible to source a surplus Lee Enfield butt and depending on your skill; shorten that. I have owned a BSA that was fitted with a standard LE butt but don't know how intricate the fitting was as I did not take it apart.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

That sounds very cool, would love to see a pic if you have one!

My skills level on a scale of 1 - 10 is 0 so I'd need one already done haha!

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Hi John,

That sounds very cool, would love to see a pic if you have one!

My skills level on a scale of 1 - 10 is 0 so I'd need one already done haha!

Cheers,

Matt
    There you go Matt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8dhW58tbUmmVA3Y58

I'm the same - completely ham fisted!

Kind regards,

John

That's a really cool 'fusion'!

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Matt,

It may be possible to source a surplus Lee Enfield butt and depending on your skill; shorten that. I have owned a BSA that was fitted with a standard LE butt budon't know how intricate the fitting was as I did not take it apart.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,
    The BSA Military Pattern used a Long Lee Enfield stock together with a modified fore end I believe.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I can't say I know exactly how the exact stock lengths were determined, but presumably they were based on what was comfortable for the average man, with alternatives for those of a slighter build. They would then fit the length suitable to the majority as standard and offer one of the alternatives when ordering if this was required.
    Obviously, this would mean fitting one of the shorter lengths for the Light Pattern as standard which turned out to be 13 1/4".
    Brian

I'm sure people were quite a bit smaller in the recent past. I always seem to have a finger or two to spare with any 19th century pistol and I don't think I've ever seen a top hat that would have fitted me.

Just saying, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I always believed the Light Pattern was fitted with a 13 1/4 "stock as standard. The only shorter one I'm aware of would that fitted to Junior which was 9 1/4".
    There are stories of the shorter stocks being fitted to some Light Patterns in order to pass them off as the much rarer Junior patterns.
    The chances off getting an original shorter stock would I would think be very slim, but good luck with your search.
    Brian
    Very interesting Brian
    I have never seen a 9 1/4 stock. The handful of jnr /jvnl that I have seen have 11 1/4 stamped on them.

If you look on The Bay and search Enfield butt there are quite a few stocks on there at reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Very interesting Brian
    I have never seen a 9 1/4 stock. The handful of jnr /jvnl that I have seen have 11 1/4 stamped on them.
    Quite right Pete, only 11 1/4" stocks fitted to both the Junior & Juvenile rifles. Apologies for the finger trouble.
    Take care.
    Brian

Hi John,
    The BSA Military Pattern used a Long Lee Enfield stock together with a modified fore end I believe.
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

It did but the trigger block/band end is of a different profile on the MP to a standard BSA.

Kind regards,

John