Thread: Target pistols

Target pistols

Hi all
    I have become interested in pistol shooting,and have a 6m range at home...
    I have progressed from Diana 6g (heavy) to walther lp3(tiering ) fwb65 with it's ergonomic grips I became more accurate
    I then acquired a Walther cp2 wow even easier to be accurate with.. then earlier this year a mint walther cpm1 arrived
    This is again easier to be accurate with than the cp2
    My question is would I notice a big difference / improvement between the cpm and
    a new Walther lp4 alu or Steyr lp2 or tesro signum ?
    I was going to join a club but the plague has ruined that.so getting to try a few different types is going to be difficult..
    Cheers for your answers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Hi all
    I have become interested in pistol shooting,and have a 6m range at home...
    I have progressed from Diana 6g (heavy) to walther lp3(tiering ) fwb65 with it's ergonomic grips I became more accurate
    I then acquired a Walther cp2 wow even easier to be accurate with.. then earlier this year a mint walther cpm1 arrived
    This is again easier to be accurate with than the cp2
    My question is would I notice a big difference / improvement between the cpm and
    a new Walther lp4 alu or Steyr lp2 or tesro signum ?
    I was going to join a club but the plague has ruined that.so getting to try a few different types is going to be difficult..
    Cheers for your answers
    Ian
    Hi Ian

I have both a CPM-1 and an LP400 Carbon, the LP400 is lighter than the CPM-1, subjectively I like the feel of the grip on the CPM-1, the trigger feels 'better' on the LP400 but I'd be pushed to say why.

I think a 'good' shooter would shoot equally well with both pistols. The advantage of the LP400 is that its a PCP, so much more consistant velocity than the CPM-1 which will definitely start shooting lower as the CO2 content reduces. Although you can get around this by always topping up the CO2 before an important shoot.

Finally it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, if its postal leagues and regular club competitions then I'd go for the LP400 as your not having to think about CO2, if its more 'casual' shooting then the CPM-1 is fine. Also remember that the CO2 cylinders are now well past their certification date, so may not pass weapons control at some competitions.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply..that was my thinking too
    I also like the grip on the cpm but haven't tried later pistols
    I would have to sell some pistols and a rifle or two,to get a new pistol
    I fancy a new gun whilst I can still use it, rifles becoming hard to use cos of nerve damage in my hand..
    Cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    Hi Ian

I have both a CPM-1 and an LP400 Carbon, the LP400 is lighter than the CPM-1, subjectively I like the feel of the grip on the CPM-1, the trigger feels 'better' on the LP400 but I'd be pushed to say why.

I think a 'good' shooter would shoot equally well with both pistols. The advantage of the LP400 is that its a PCP, so much more consistant velocity than the CPM-1 which will definitely start shooting lower as the CO2 content reduces. Although you can get around this by always topping up the CO2 before an important shoot.

Finally it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, if its postal leagues and regular club competitions then I'd go for the LP400 as your not having to think about CO2, if its more 'casual' shooting then the CPM-1 is fine. Also remember that the CO2 cylinders are now well past their certification date, so may not pass weapons control at some competitions.

Hope this helps.

The issue about dates on cylinders is, er, not an issue!

After a very few air cylinders ruptured, the authorities introduced the 10-year date rule, but soon withdrew it when they realised that they were effectively 'certifying' all the other cylinders under equipment control, without knowing anything about how much use or abuse they had suffered.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    The issue about dates on cylinders is, er, not an issue!

After a very few air cylinders ruptured, the authorities introduced the 10-year date rule, but soon withdrew it when they realised that they were effectively 'certifying' all the other cylinders under equipment control, without knowing anything about how much use or abuse they had suffered.
    Absolutely !

Well done Modski66 for reminding anyone that may not be aware of this - and for reminding those that were aware of it
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hi Modski66

Thanks for correcting me as I thought there was an issue with out of date cylinders potentially getting rejected at Weapons control, does this apply to both pcp and co2 cylinders?

I looked at the ISSF rule book - https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/upload...-Rule-Book.pdf which states:

6.2.4.2 It is the athlete’s responsibility to ensure that any air or CO2 cylinder is still within its validity date. This may be checked by Equipment Control.

So I'm assuming this is just a check and there's no danger of being told you can't compete?
    Last edited by Discocom; 18-03-2020 at 10:17 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Cylinders

They will "advise" but steer well clear of getting caught up in any thing more.

As to current verses old, I have a collection of my old pistols that I bought new, and have used competitively, over 40 years, technology moves on, nostalgia does not, they do not design new tech for fun, they are now a lot better, perhaps not a lot in accuracy, but ergonomics, balance, trigger, lock time, consistency.
    Sadly your skill will not improve with a modern pistol!

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Target pistols

Hi all ,
    Thanks for the advice re cylinders ,I guess one way round it would be to get a kit from egun to convert to 12g canisters,if I ever roam further than my front room...lol....
    Thanks to discocom for the comparison .much as I thought....
    Thanks to robin c re pistols ,
    think I'm looking for an excuse to buy a brand new pistol, as I have not had any new airguns yet....
    I know it won't make me any more accurate but I have onset of oesteo arthritis in my right wrist now so thought that any extra adjustability over the cpm1 might keep me shooting longer...I know you advocate the lp2 compact ,but at the mo you can get a reduction on the lp400 that puts it in the same price range as the Steyr and tesro signum (which I do like the look of )
    So I guess it will come down to what's about
    Cheers ian

Choice

Ian

I shot pistol, all disciplines, international as well, competitively for 40 years always with the best available, I had a FWB 65 when they were the best (still have it), went onto a CP1 from that, even when it was on FAC, Over the years I used various, (and still have every thing I used) including a CP2, my favourite was an LPM-1 (still have it!) ended with a Steyr LP2 compact, ended by Arthritis, but if I was shooting now I'd have an LP400 or the LP500 with the carbon cylinder.

I'm 73 now, I try and shoot prone rifle competitively, I buy the best, and I have just bought and built a very special KK500 Walther, even though I doubt I can do justice to it, but I will damn well try!!

My advice, Buy the best you can afford, and have fun, there are no pockets in shrouds.
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for the 2 reply robin, better sell a couple of rifles and a pistol or 2 then start hunting lol
    cheers Ian
    Ps are you going to write a book on pistol training ,my copy of the rifle one is constantly referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Ps are you going to write a book on pistol training ,my copy of the rifle one is constantly referred to.
    Afraid not, I've been trying to do one on prone rifle for two years! But may use the current "house arrest" to get back to it!

Have fun
    Robin

Clear your PMs

Your PM box is full.

RobinC,

Re : Prone & Pistol books

Please have at it - your air rifle book is excellent, and is required reading !

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ