Thread: First time enjoyment

First time enjoyment

Now after being on my radar for quite some time I eventually got round to giving some 10m shooting a go today.
    I went along to the South Norfolk rifle and pistol club and have to say that I could not have been made to feel more welcome from the start.
    I must confess that I went along with rifle being of more interest to me but having never really shot a pistol before I thought IÂ’ll give it a quick go and then swiftly move on to the rifle but
    WRONG
    That pistol sure was addictive
    Even after on trying to raise pistol with my right arm completely uncontrollable wobble due to an old elbow/forearm injury and was never gonna work
    Try it left handed IÂ’m told
    Now in my head IÂ’m laughing and thinking no chance but was completely surprised to find that it was nowhere as bad as I had expected.
    Now trust me I truly sucked
    But still just the right amount of praise,encouragement and help (if only I could implement it) was forthcoming.
    A big thank you to Carole for her patience and enthusiasm for her sport and canÂ’t wait for next week.

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by damas View Post
    Now after being on my radar for quite some time I eventually got round to giving some 10m shooting a go today.
    I went along to the South Norfolk rifle and pistol club and have to say that I could not have been made to feel more welcome from the start.
    I must confess that I went along with rifle being of more interest to me but having never really shot a pistol before I thought IÂ’ll give it a quick go and then swiftly move on to the rifle but
    WRONG
    Even after on trying to raise pistol with my right arm completely uncontrollable wobble due to an old elbow/forearm injury and was never gonna work
    Now in my head IÂ’m laughing and thinking no chance but was completely surprised to find that it was nowhere as bad as I had expected.
    But still just the right amount of praise,encouragement and help (if only I could implement it) was forthcoming.
    A big thank you to Carole for her patience and enthusiasm for her sport and canÂ’t wait for next week.

Damian
    Maybe you could also get to shoot a TESRO or Walther LG300XT during your next visit too as this could help you with your match rifle enquiries?

Pistols are addictive - and is why many of us enjoy shooting them both!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

WRONG

Damian
    Hi Damian
    Couldn’t resist responding to your thread - especially as you’ve been to the excellent SNARPC in Attleborough.
    You may not know that with the demise of the Norwich City Target Club, some of our members are going to join South Norfolk.
    We have already set up a pair of Spieth electronic targets at the range, which seem to be well received.
    Hope to meet you one day.
    Steve
    Last edited by essjay; 05-03-2020 at 01:30 PM.

So sorry Steve to hear of the Norwich club demise what a horrible situation for yourself and your members.
    Will take a look but obviously being such early days and not knowing whether pistol or rifle floats my boat the most will just enjoy going and trying to improve (plenty of room for that) and any purchase would obviously be quite a way off
    Hopefully see you down SNARPC sometime and happy shooting.

Damian

Headed back for another bash today.
    Thank you so much Steve letting me have a go with the club guns I really appreciate it.
    Must admit smitten with the pistol shooting and didnÂ’t even think about giving the rifles a go.
    Had a go with the FAS and enjoyed it and was quite novel being able to see the pellets going down the range and thought it had a nice trigger but unfortunately it did eventually start playing up my arm issue up with all that loading.
    Then I did have a go with the Tesro and really wish it was left handed because it really did feel nice (Steve do you happen to know what make and size of grip is on it because it did feel a nice fit)
    So looks like I will have to sell some of the ft stuff to get some funds now itÂ’s hooked me in
    Apologies in advance if I end up asking questions on here that have already been answered but just looking to learn more
    Damian

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Grip

Damian

I'll answer for Steve as I'm aware of what is on that pistol, the grip on that one is a medium, the Tesro is made by the guy who was a designer at Walther some years back, and was responsible for the LP200, and the grip is "very" similar to the Walther grip, as also the pistol, is similar to the Walther of that era, that pistol is one of the early ones.

You would be better looking for a Walther LP300, which is "very similar", or if you have muscular issues the ideal pistol is a Steyr LP2 compact, we did at one time have ten members at Norwich with them, including one who won the British Championships with one! Or if you are willing to spend more the Walther LP500 with the carbon cylinder, can be made to be very light,

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Headed back for another bash today.
    Thank you so much Steve letting me have a go with the club guns I really appreciate it.
    Must admit smitten with the pistol shooting and didnÂ’t even think about giving the rifles a go.
    Had a go with the FAS and enjoyed it and was quite novel being able to see the pellets going down the range and thought it had a nice trigger but unfortunately it did eventually start playing up my arm issue up with all that loading.
    Then I did have a go with the Tesro and really wish it was left handed because it really did feel nice (Steve do you happen to know what make and size of grip is on it because it did feel a nice fit)
    So looks like I will have to sell some of the ft stuff to get some funds now itÂ’s hooked me in
    Apologies in advance if I end up asking questions on here that have already been answered but just looking to learn more
    Damian
    I think Robin's offering some sensible advice.
    With the FAS, as you found out, loading can be a problem for some people.
    Try to find a left handed pcp pistol rather than spending a lot more on an extra left hand grip.
    You will find that the SNARPC has some Air Arms pistols which have ambidextrous grips.
    Try one - you might find it is just right.
    sj

Thanks gents

Thanks for your information and help.
    Have decided to go the PCP route as the SSP route is not a viable option.
    Interesting about the grip (which did feel very comfortable to me) and will look down the Walther route if they are the type fitted as standard.
    As I would only really be looking at a second hand purchase what sort of price should I expect to pay for a good lp300?
    What sort of affect on value does the left handed grip make to values ? Increase/decrease or no difference because obviously they come up less often.
    Like you say the ambi air arms pistols are there to be getting on with but obviously would ideally like to get something that suits me at some point.

Damian

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Best Choice

Damian

I'm a Walther-phile, so I'm biased towards them, but unless you are buying new LP500 (or newer LP400), your best bet is a Steyr LP 2, the best choice in that is the compact, its lighter, its competitive up to the top level, a current model, well supported by a good importer, and there are loads about, and Lefty grips are easier to get S/H and new.

As I said, we had ten in the club, used by several or our GB team shooters, both Senior and Junior, one of them won the British Championship with one, even though I don't shoot pistol (arthritis) I still have mine and won't sell it.

There's one for sale below this thread.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Nice one

Cheers Robin for your helpful advice.
    Hopefully will bump into someone at SNARPC at some point to have a quick go with one.

Damian

That club looks reasonably close to me at a 45 minute drive. just looking for my first gun now so will try and pay them a visit once I make the purchase.

Contact details

Hi can highly recommend and don’t worry about purchase as club pistols and rifles supplied.First session at a very reasonable £15 and gets you two hours one to one tuition. If you’re interested just pm me for the ladies contact details so you can make contact and discuss a mutually suitable time for you to attend.

Damian

Jammie*D I noticed you are from Cambridge, did you know there is a air target club there - Cambridge .177, I'm not a member but have attended open meetings there in the past, also attended an open meeting at the SNARPC and was impressed at their nice setup. For lightness, manufactures backup and because there are a lot of them out there so not too difficult to find s/h the LP2 has my vote too, my wife likes hers.

clubs close to Cambridge

Quote Originally Posted by Jammie*dodger View Post
    That club looks reasonably close to me at a 45 minute drive. just looking for my first gun now so will try and pay them a visit once I make the purchase.
    Hi
    Sorry to hi Jack the thread but there is a rifle & pistol club at Alconbury, we have club rifles andpistols you can try. PM me for details.

ATB

Neil
    Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it.