Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
Like most airgunners i tried cold blue solutions which gave poor results, streaky non durable coating etc. I also tried birchwood casey plum brown stuff, this gave an interesting colour on a plai iron barrel but i suspect it was no more durable than the cold blue stuff.
I bought Angiers book & it has loads of good info though obviously written aeons ago so much is out of date.
One day at Bisley arms fair i bought some real browing solution from Blackleys, It gave proper real results on an antique damascus pistol barrel.
It also gave good results used as a blue the only difference being that i boiled it after each pass, the boiling converts the ferrous oxide to black ferric chloride. The main reason for any problems is poor degreasing.
A bottle will last you years, its highly poisonous as its got mercuric chloride in it, dont use it anywhere near anything you dont want to go rusty!
Link here, https://www.blackleyandson.com/acata...Metals-p1.html,
Ignore the birchwood casey snake oil crap, scroll down to gunguard slow brown.
You Sir,
Has got it spot on as far as I'm concerned. If you want to go the best diy route. One can improve things when one wishes.