Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW45 dieseling & banging!!!

Holy thread revival!

Always great to read about the characterful and charismatic thumper pistol and the beautiful aroma.......don't forget the lovely aroma......

One tip to consider with these if not going down the tuning route is to give the pistol a couple of dry fires to help form the PTFE piston seal.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    or buy an ausie seal that actually seals, and doesn't let a ton of lube thru to burn... but it is fun...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    Hi. How do you like your Tinbum tune? Whats it like?
    Apologies for not getting back sooner, I have only just noticed your reply.

I struggled when I first bought it as I felt it was top heavy and I couldn't hit a barn door with it. A fella at the range suggested I pad the grips out with elastic bands to balance it better. I couldn't do that as it would look terrible so bought some tailor made walnut grips, that made a big difference, but I still wasn't happy.
    After to talking to Nick he suggested a couple of things to do, but as the HW45 can be a bit of a sod to work on, I sent it to Nick instead. If my memory serves me right, he said he would put some different spring guides in and adjust the spring down a little bit.
    When I got it back it was noticeably easier to cock, much smoother to shoot and I could actually hit the barn door with it.
    In no time at all I was getting for my standard pretty good groups with it. I have quite a few small spinners in the garden, so then I added a Hawke RD30 red dot scope to it and can easily hit those spinners.
    I also had the HW40 and the HW75 but decided to get rid of them as I don't find them as much fun to use as the HW45.
    Since Nick did his magic to it, I can now use the HW45 and have fun with it, which I wasn't doing before.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Ive had the HW45 for four days now, and am loving it. On half power it smokes, on full power it BANGS!!!!! It is calming down a bit now, but still dieseling. What causes this with the 45? Is it the Molly on the spring or is there oil in the transfer/breach. Also,the manual is as usual a bit vague, and only says not to over lubricate and use resin, and acid free oils. Whats the consensus on maintenance?
    Peering through the cloud of smoke after each shot is half the fun. Two of us were shooting 45s one night and it was like being in a bus depot. Mine was second hand and even at that the first few shots each session were a bit dieselly.

I love the dieseling of my HW45
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/gsMc7AcLUs571zac6
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Hello to All,

I fitted Mr. Stannings TbT maxi-kit (spring shortened by two coils), and a Custom Air Seals piston seal to my HW45 Silver Star.

The HW45's innards are dry-lubed (75% sub-micron graphite / 25% 0.5 micron tungsten disulphide), so I have finally got rid of the smoke & drama.

The '45 makes ca. 508 fps with JSB Express (ca. 4.5 ft.lb), which is just right for me.

I have made some temporary adjustments to the grip with BluTak - just getting up the courage to made the changes permanent with some metal loaded epoxy putty.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Only thing i don't like about my black star is the palm shelf thingy on the grip why did they put that there, it would have looked a lot better without it, and fit my hand better,

Each to his own , I like the laminate grip with palm shelf
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

hw45

when did they start the 2 power model?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    when did they start the 2 power model?
    In .177 right from the first introduction of it in 1985.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    Only thing i don't like about my black star is the palm shelf thingy on the grip why did they put that there, it would have looked a lot better without it, and fit my hand better,
    Time to break out the angle grinder then
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Time to break out the angle grinder then
    To a laminated grip no way Jose 😢
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    Bit of a shame that, means you can't fit 1911 compatible grips either (one of the really good features of the HW45)
    Good deals with these members

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Bit of a shame that, means you can't fit 1911 compatible grips either (one of the really good features of the HW45)
    some one on these forums, makes grips for the black star, but ill keep my laminated ones, might trim a bit of the bottom.