Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice old German pellet tins

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I had a few of these back before I disposed of my collection;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7607964699940/

At the time I found a German website with mainly military and sporting ammo on, but it was archived by brands, so the Utendoerffer brand had a few pellet tins included with all the powder stuff, I recall they were stated to be prewar and as mentioned are great colourful items especially on the base,with all the gold medals etc.

They had a huge company range, a bit like a German Kynoch dating back to 1855 then acquired by RWS, and their stamp can be found on every type of military and hunting pistol and rifle ammo.

I never did nail down the exact age recall was 1930's but don't quote me after all this time!, but German sites are the place to look, I just wish I could recall the one I saw. Link below which has some interesting photos;

http://www.patronensammlervereinigun...ts_archiv.html

Google H.Utendoerffer Kugeln and see what occurs as a starter

ATB, Ed
    Very informative thank you.

Yours are the only pictures of the tins I could find online.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    What strikes me, is that the squirrel looks to be what RWS copied for their Diabolo pellet.

With that long thin silhouette, even the twin branches, it looks like the RWS design is almost traced from this one.

As edbear2 said above:

‘...acquired by RWS, and their stamp can be found on every type of military and hunting pistol and rifle ammo’

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    As edbear2 said above:

‘...acquired by RWS, and their stamp can be found on every type of military and hunting pistol and rifle ammo’

Matt
    Yes, but I think the squirrel only features on the ‘Diabolo’, which is ribbed, so surely there is a direct lineage between these pellets?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Very informative thank you.

Yours are the only pictures of the tins I could find online.

Matt
    Hi Matt, I used to get them from all over, USA and Europe were good sources, and often not on auction websites. Tin collecting is very popular worldwide and pellet tins are just a tiny part of that "scene", If you search in the lingo of the country of origin it can be interesting, so try "alte Blechdose kugeln" (old pellet tin in German) and see what happens

Also ammo collecting is huge, and a lot of people who have old cartridges etc. sometimes acquire pellet tins in lots.

Attached link to Utendoerffer cartridge catalogue to show scale of range;

https://www.germanhuntingguns.com/ab...f-brass-cases/

ATB, ED

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Yes, but I think the squirrel only features on the ‘Diabolo’, which is ribbed, so surely there is a direct lineage between these pellets?
    It's complicated. if you Google "h utendorffer historisch" you will get Wiki and other results in German. copy these to a translate website and it will give you some idea of how the group RWS acquired Untendoerffer. it deals with the actual firms so like Kynoch or Eley here pellets were a tiny fraction of output so won't be mentioned. There must be pellet of ammo people in Germany who would know more, I tried in the past without much success, and had more stuff going on in my life which lead to less time doing research etc. It will be out there somewhere, you have to think outside the box and get Googling

ATB, Ed