Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
CCJDG, I’ve done a bit of research and found that others do agree with you. I copied and pasted following from some wood working site...... I don't think those products are available here - at least as branded goods. Functional equivalents abound and frankly, I think you would be hard pushed to see major differences between most brands we do have.

FWIW (and maybe this is Granny speaking of eggs?) wiping varnishes etc. are simply finishes that are sufficiently thinned as to be able to be applied by a rag, rubber etc. Thus, it is easy to thin oil based products - just add white spirits - but hopeless to add enough water to the typical waterborne varnish - to produce a wiping finish.

Just grab any old oil based poly, thin it with white spirits and you have a wiping (poly) varnish. You will have a finish that is dead easy to apply and doesn't show brush marks but you will need two or three coats to equate to one coat of an unthinned, brushed finish. End of article....

I also found a recipe to make your own with a slightly difference, 1/3 Tung Oil, 1/3 White Spirit 1/3 Boiled Linseed oil. (Cant remember if it was White Spirit or Turps to be honest ) does this sound like it could work ?
use tack cloths that are meant for waterbased paints as they are better and less sticky than the normal ones you commonly see