Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
You would produce your phone records which would prove you weren't

Motor insurance is not the same as shooting cover

If you don't want insurance that's up to you,
but if you shoot on private property like a farm, pray you don't damage machinery or injure livestock, because without cover you'll need deep pockets.
Insurance is the same no matter what.

I could prove I wasn’t in a vehicle and was totally not at fault but the legal protection still would not kick in. My alternative was to self fund. In the end I didn’t need to because the other party admitted liability.

That’s what insurance ends up as, a poker game of resources about who is liable. It’s expensive to pursue even if you have something like a successful police prosecution to help on your side of the party you are trying to prove is liable. It really doesn’t come down to what you were doing specifically.

It’s certainly not rubbish and you’ll find no insurance company is going to back you to the hilt even if you follow all process because they do settle based upon an economic decision. I know this from successfully suing someone for a significant sum.

Unfortunately the store many put in insurance is often misplaced. It’s quite adequate for mainstream every day occurrences but even then the companies will often follow well trodden routes unless there’s someone who takes the time, effort and money to challenge them. And normally unless they’re an idiot they will have substantial evidence to prove their point. But where that isn’t available and other evidence is that can weaken your case. In your example having phone records that show you weren’t calling or texting don’t prove you weren’t on the phone using it for something else or that purpose unsuccessfully. Against a witness that says you were your legal cover may opt not to defend because that’s how they work, like it or not. You would of course be free to take it further with your own resources. But that would probably involve what many would consider a considerable sum.