Thread: BSA meteor Mk 2 sight adjustment

BSA meteor Mk 2 sight adjustment

Hello forum. New member here, trying to get my fathers old Mark 2 (1962 to 1966 model, NA serial number).

Elevation is easy with thumb dial. Windage is the issue. I’m shooting about 2 inches right of POI (50mm) at 40 feet.

I have done my research on this but it does not seem definitive. Do you punch the foresight over for windage? Or do you punch over the rear sight mounting location? I’ve seen both on YouTube reviews and technical guides. I can’t seem to find any technical manual either.

NOTE: The MK2 does not have the plastic ramp with the screws visible for adjusting the foresight.

Thanks !!

Tap the foresight to adjust windage.

Wind age adjustment

I'd clamp the rifle in a workmate or similar, then move the clamp to point at a target, then look at the sights to check if they are central to the gun, move which one is obviously wrong, or nudge both if there is no obvious difference. Some sight dovetails are tapered, the sight will be loose if you go the wrong way! David

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Tap the foresight to adjust windage.
    Don't forget to move the group to the right, the rear sight is moved to the RIGHT and the foresight to the LEFT and vice versa if the group is to be moved to the left.

Brian

The rear sight elevation screw is recessed in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    The rear sight elevation screw is recessed in the barrel.
    This, plus the fact that the dovetail part of the rear sight is almost as wide as the width of the cylinder forks the dovetail has to pass,
    are two reasons why the rear sight needs to stay centered.

You can also try different pellets, In my experience different pellets can have different sideways impact in meteors.

Thanks !

Thanks to all for the advice.
    I’ll check all recommendation points. It looks like the foresight has been hit over to the right (slightly off if 12 o’clock position. So I’ll try with a steel punch. 🤞

If you want to move your groups to the left, you need to drift the foresight further to the right or adjust the rear sight to the left.
    I would recommend something softer than steel when drifting the sight to avoid any unnecessary damage. I use the brass earth pin from an old mains plug when drift adjusting these sights.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 09-01-2021 at 10:41 AM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    If you want to move your groups to the left, you need to drift the foresight further to the right or adjust the rear sight to the left.
    I would recommend something softer than steel when drifting the sight to avoid any unnecessary damage. I use the brass earth pin from an old mains plug when drift adjusting these sights.
    Brian
    Thanks Brian!........The number of times in the past where I was looking for a brass drift and had one to hand without thinking about it..Never thought of that at all, just as they say, every day is a learning day

ATB, Ed

I would estimate you need to drift the front sight blade on your Meteor a further 2mm to the right to correct a 2" error at 40ft.

Brian