Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .22 sub 12ft lb pcp rifle to buy ?

Which .22 sub 12ft lb pcp rifle to buy ?

all, im looking for new .22 pcp air rifle for large farm land permissions for rabbits, looking for a powerful 11.5 ft lb and accurate , multi shot with good shot count, brought the rotex rm8 .177 ( great rifle but heavy , and better for targets ). If i was to break the budget id get the fx maverick . But heres my short list :- kral np03 , kral puncher empire , kral jumbo hi cap , webley raider quantum , gamo coyote tactical aselkon mx6, mx8, ,bsa ultra se multi shot

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    None of the above is my answer, I'd advise you to stick with a good second hand version of something like:

S410, Regal, HW100 or even a "sorted" R10

I believe these all to be superior rifles than those you have listed, but it's your money
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Yes defo none of the above, Theoben rapid or mk2 daystate air ranger I would be looking at,

S/h bsa Scorpian JB blueprinted be best bang for the buck
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

theres lots out there bud if it was not for lock down id advise getting to a local club and trying a few out

I didn't think a RM8 was that heavy? Could you not try using it for a while as I suspect it would do a very good job for you. Have you tried fitting a sling foo carrying it between shots?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

There are many good reviews on 'the net' . Quite a few of the guns mentioned are 'as heavy' , or heavier than your R8.

An Air Arms S200, with the Multi shot , is light and accurate. Bsa Scorpion se, would be, and is my choice .
    I have a really bad Back , ('Sciatic nerve ), and I know how painful a heavy rifle can be to carry .

AA S410/510 carbine, or TDR are top quality very accurate and light . A Hw110, is a little heavier but deadly accurate and very quiet. Regulated, and comes with a moderator and two magazines.

There is a huge choice , and many hours of 'lockdown looking' to be had, in reviews.

Good luck with your search
    Peace through superior fire power!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    theres lots out there bud if it was not for lock down id advise getting to a local club and trying a few out
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I didn't think a RM8 was that heavy? Could you not try using it for a while as I suspect it would do a very good job for you. Have you tried fitting a sling foo carrying it between shots?
    Rich.
    Thanks , i might try that, cos it is a good rifle

Far better to go with Jesim mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    all, im looking for new .22 pcp air rifle for large farm land permissions for rabbits, looking for a powerful 11.5 ft lb and accurate , multi shot with good shot count, brought the rotex rm8 .177 ( great rifle but heavy , and better for targets ). If i was to break the budget id get the fx maverick . But heres my short list :- kral np03 , kral puncher empire , kral jumbo hi cap , webley raider quantum , gamo coyote tactical aselkon mx6, mx8, ,bsa ultra se multi shot
    Hi.

There's actually nothing wrong with the rifle that you have for rabbits.

Is it simply down to the weight of your Rotex that's pushing you toward buying another rifle?

If it is, as has already been suggested a rifle sling may be a simple solution.

If you're going for a .22 because you believe, or have been told that a sub 12ft/lb .177 air rifle isn't sufficiently powerful to cleanly kill a rabbit at realistic ranges then I can reassure you that it is, as I've killed many rabbits with my .177 air rifles.

Whether you use sub 12ft/lb .177 or .22 you have to take head shots to ensure humane kills, and either calibre is suitable.

Accuracy is the most important issue, you have to be able to consistently hit a target the size of a £1 coin which is around the size of a rabbit's brain, and you shouldn't push your ranges beyond the distance that you can confidently achieve this.

I try to shoot prone from a bipod as much as possible as this enhances accuracy greatly.

Yes, .22 does hit harder down range, but range estimation is more critical with its loopier trajectory.

.177 flies flatter and still carries enough energy to kill cleanly.

If it is the weight issue that's critical for you, then of the rifles you listed the only one I have experience of is the BSA Ultra.

I have owned one in .177 calibre for about six years and it's my go to gun in sub 12ft/lb. it's light, short, and very accurate, and if you get it regulated it gives you loads more shots over the standard rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    Hi.

Is it simply down to the weight of your Rotex that's pushing you toward buying another rifle?

If you're going for a .22 because you believe, or have been told that a sub 12ft/lb .177 air rifle isn't sufficiently powerful to cleanly kill a rabbit at realistic ranges then I can reassure you that it is, as I've killed many rabbits with my .177 air rifles.

Whether you use sub 12ft/lb .177 or .22 you have to take head shots to ensure humane kills, and either calibre is suitable.

Accuracy is the most important issue, you have to be able to consistently hit a target the size of a £1 coin which is around the size of a rabbit's brain, and you shouldn't push your ranges beyond the distance that you can confidently achieve this.

I try to shoot prone from a bipod as much as possible as this enhances accuracy greatly.

Yes, .22 does hit harder down range, but range estimation is more critical with its loopier trajectory.

If it is the weight issue that's critical for you, then of the rifles you listed the only one I have experience of is the BSA Ultra.

I have owned one in .177 calibre for about six years and it's my go to gun in sub 12ft/lb. it's light, short, and very accurate, and if you get it regulated it gives you loads more shots over the standard rifle.
    Totally agree, buy a decent used BSA, Air Arms, Daystate or Theo. In .177!!!!!!!!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Hit the nail on the head

Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    Hi.

That's it ...im getting £1 grouping at 60yards at . Im quiet a good shooting at paper targets but not seem too be getting kill shots, ive only just started with quarry , so purchased a range finder to help judge range as im not very good at it ,and just upgraded to jsb heavy. 177

Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    That's it ...im getting £1 grouping at 60yards at . Im quiet a good shooting at paper targets but not seem too be getting kill shots, ive only just started with quarry , so purchased a range finder to help judge range as im not very good at it ,and just upgraded to jsb heavy. 177
    Decent scope should help with range finding, either with Parallax or the HFT style. Hunting is massively different to paper punching, unstable ground with differing hold and stances. Learn the site, where the warrens are and distance from your proposed ambush points. Reduce range for now.
    Learn your trajectory at differing ranges and how the wind affects your chosen ammo. Heavies are good, I used Bisley Magnums a lot but also shot a lot with 7.9 grain Premiers. Accuracy is paramount. Practice in the field not bench rested at paper. Sounds gross but the eyeball is a perfect target if presented.
    VAYA CON DIOS

You seem to considering long range hunting with a sub 12 FPE rifle in .22 rifle and are not good at range reading.

It is one thing to plant a £1 coin group at 60 yards from a bench and totally different to do so at any target you can conceivably miss and wound. Personally, my max hunting range is a 5 pence peice group or the trigger ain't squeezed.

A .22 has a much loopier trajectory which may become more pronounced with the weight and BC of the pellet used.

Not to mention weather influences on the day pushing the pellet left or right or falling short or over your perceived POI

In sub 12 FPE and especially if you find it tricky to range by eye, the flatter trajectory of a..177 calibre may make a difference between a connecting shot over a wounding or miss shot.

I would say that there are people who have the skill to plant at 60 yards but they are few and far between and would not advocate everyone starts taking shots outside ones skill set especially at a blink or a pulse.

Maybe review you skill, range and equipment decisions when its live quarry.

Your user name suggests you are into HFT and thats a goodcway to become a better shot as it allows you to shhot at distance that tests you but that does not injure quarry if you F it up.

I would suggest getting closer and improving your poi and drop ratio before you go distance shooting. And sub 12 imho isnt the right cal for longer shots. It is doable but not if your cutting your teeth.
    Last edited by Steyr; 15-01-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Same from me none of your selection of rifles. Look at second rifles for example a BSA R10 or Air Arms most RFDs have second hand ones in and usually offer a limited warranty for a couple of months buying of the net is not is not ideal as there are scammers about.

As to reading range just practice and practice some more. It’s easy when shooting at targets I know a lad who is amazing a target work but at field work he is about as useful as a chocolate frog. The last thing you want is to wound an animal what you shoot may be classed as pests but no matter what suffer. Use range finder go out into the field stick so,e markers out record the distance and shoot them and repeat it will help.

Also stop shooting animals until you a confident of a kill shot as you have said you are not getting kill shots.