Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .577cal Pritchett rifle comes home with me today!

I remember from a long time since when I first had an interest, reading American magazines ( no WWW in the seventies) and the lead mix for printer's type seemed to be a popular choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    I remember from a long time since when I first had an interest, reading American magazines ( no WWW in the seventies) and the lead mix for printer's type seemed to be a popular choice.
    Linotype was very popular with practical pistol shooters in the eighties and nineties as it was easily available. It was very hard alloy though to give crisp clean printing. Excellent metal for crisp clean moulding as well. Great for pistol and u/l but no use for muzzle loaders.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

This is a lump I was given last year. It was used for something down a coal mine. The lads down the club had tried to cut it into bite sized pieces for making fishing weights, with no success. They gave it to me to try so I just melted it and made ingots. Lots of cudos for being a clever git and browny points for giving them some nice lead, not to mention lots of very soft lead for me.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjdZpt5S/DSC-8258.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/26d10F64/DSC-8260.jpgimage free hosting
    https://i.postimg.cc/RFvSZrSH/DSC-8263.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2PYHZSb/DSC-8264.jpg
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

The mailman has just delivered a very heavy but small package holding ten freebie Pritchett bullets from Malcolm Seller in Doncaster for me to try out in the Pritchett rifle. Being a man of great experience and even greater knowledge, he advised me that certain details of my new rifle indicate that it might well be the one and only complete rifle that Pritchett ever made!

I'm SOOOO looking forward to shooting this this. He opines that between 60 - 70gr of Swiss 3F will do the job and luckily for me that is exactly what I have to hand.....phew.

I've ordered up another hundred, which should see me out, if I'm lucky.

Anybody coming to our club tomorrow morning will likely see me shooting it for the first time. Like the target, it might be an occasion not to be missed!

Shoot straight and safe.

look forward to hearing how you get on

Smile Lead Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I’ve got plenty. The locals in the village all seem to have kept their old lead water pipes and lots of stuff from the coal mines. A lot of that came my way. We also have a very active airgun section in the club which I clean out from time to time. Lovely soft lead in airgun pellets. I’ve had a lot of success with 22rf lead as well. The 50/100 yd is 22 and airgun only and is due deleading soon. Lots of lovely soft lead there!

I think I have a good few hundred 1lb ingots tucked away.
    My next door neighbour in Resolven is in the process of building an extension on his house and the last time I was there he had chucked all his old roof flashing and lead water pipe over my wall! Now that's the sort of neighbour you want!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The radiused base is a correct Pritchett-form design. I look forward greatly to seeing them and trying them out - say, five hundred to start with, eh?

Just joshing.

Ten will be just fine.
    TAC.

PM sent.

TAC.

PM sent.
    Mel H - PM Resplone.

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    My next door neighbour in Resolven is in the process of building an extension on his house and the last time I was there he had chucked all his old roof flashing and lead water pipe over my wall! Now that's the sort of neighbour you want!
    Report him for illegal disposal of hazardous material and fly tipping. That should be worth a few bob!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Report him for illegal disposal of hazardous material and fly tipping. That should be worth a few bob!

There are other, far more worse issues... Trust me!

I'll make a few up for you when I get some time. I've just had a look at some notes I made a while since and they measured up at .565 which seems to be three thou less than the specification size for the Pritchett of this style with the radiused concave base as opposed to the plug base.
    Mel.
    Mel.
    Big favour to ask of you please. If I P.M my address, would you send me 10 of your slugs at .565 please?

I am trying to perfect Pritchett cartridges for an early '53. The Unions favourite .550s fly wide of the target board, .563s are without doubt better. I am getting 8 inch groups at 100yd with .568s and .569s. But they aren't quite taking enough grease down the bore with them. After a detail, ramming feels a bit gritty. Somewhere in between may be the answer.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    Mel.
    Big favour to ask of you please. If I P.M my address, would you send me 10 of your slugs at .565 please?

I am trying to perfect Pritchett cartridges for an early '53. The Unions favourite .550s fly wide of the target board, .563s are without doubt better. I am getting 8 inch groups at 100yd with .568s and .569s. But they aren't quite taking enough grease down the bore with them. After a detail, ramming feels a bit gritty. Somewhere in between may be the answer.
    Please tell me about your rifle. BTW, 8" @100 yard is WAY better than the Union soldier's requirement of accuracy, which was ten shots into 18inches from standing at 100 yards.

Mel.

Robin PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Please tell me about your rifle. BTW, 8" @100 yard is WAY better than the Union soldier's requirement of accuracy, which was ten shots into 18inches from standing at 100 yards.
    It has a Frith manufactured lock, stamped Tower 1855. Solid barrel bands, with retaining springs in the forestock. Sold out of service marks. A retailers name on the stock, W.Procter. Stamped for the West Yorkshire Militia on the butt plate tang.

I did wonder if my group sizes were, shall we say acceptable. But the two guys I have sought advice from, are showing me targets with groups half the size of mine. But, they are both shooting two band Naval Rifles?
    Last edited by Hares Ear; 18-04-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Robin

It has a Frith manufactured lock, stamped Tower 1855. Solid barrel bands, with retaining springs in the forestock. Sold out of service marks. A retailers name on the stock, W.Procter. Stamped for the West Yorkshire Militia on the butt plate tang.

I did wonder if my group sizes were, shall we say acceptable. But the two guys I have sought advice from, are showing me targets with groups half the size of mine. But, they are both shooting two band Naval Rifles?
    Your groups are better than the Musketry standard requirement of the day with a Tower-assembled rifle. The so-called Naval rifles, or P58, are renowned for their accuracy due to the heavier/shorter barrel. Even the P-H replicas shoot as well as the real thing and are much sought-after in the MLAGB crowd.