Thread: Best pellet for Webley MK3 .177 and Osprey .177

Best pellet for Webley MK3 .177 and Osprey .177

Whats the favorite (most accurate) pellet in your MK3 or Osprey in .177?
    Now using JSB Exact but mainly for ease of use
    ATB,
    yana

Yana,

I have had very good results with JSB Express (7.9 gr.) or JSB Match (Orange, 8.0 gr.) in my 1970s Mk3 Supertarget.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Perhaps relevant:
    The only Webley taploader I have shot in .177 is dads old Tracker (which basically is an Osprey with smaller transfer port, different piston seal and short barrel).
    We have actually never been able to get stable accuracy from this gun, and a LOT of different pellets have been tried(Different pellets from all the reputed makers; JSB, H&N, RWS, Milbro). But this specific gun may have some issues we have not been able to detect?

I have several .177 Ospreys, and find RWS Superdomes perform very well in them. JSB always seem too loose a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Perhaps relevant:
    The only Webley taploader I have shot in .177 is dads old Tracker (which basically is an Osprey with smaller transfer port, different piston seal and short barrel).
    We have actually never been able to get stable accuracy from this gun, and a LOT of different pellets have been tried(Different pellets from all the reputed makers; JSB, H&N, RWS, Milbro). But this specific gun may have some issues we have not been able to detect?
    Tap alignment.

I've had good results with FTT, Hobby and Excite flatheads in both. It pays to try several brands as sometimes one brand just won't group but generally quality pellets tend to give quality results.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I have had my best results in older .177 air rifles by using light, pistol weight pellets with H&N Finale Match being my pellet of choice with RWS Hobby being a reasonable and much cheaper alternative.

Brian

Thanks Guys for the info. Hopefully It's fine and shoots ok.

Thanks all so far. Russ, they indeed both Supertargets.
    ATB,
    yana

edbear2 Guest
    Do take note of the feel and time to travel to target (or chrono).

One club member had a mint MK3 he wanted to use in our bell league, but the control pellets were AA fields. I shot it and it was horrible and noisy, I had a few old Wasps in the car so we tried them and the gun was transformed, so I took it home and found it was losing nearly 1 foot pound with the AA's and almost sounded like it was getting piston contact as so slammy.

So try a few different types if possible , as stated lightweight shorter pellets seem to work well, but the noise and feel will also tell a tale if you are on the ball.

ATB, Ed

ST are quite low on power already. Mine are overhauled for short range target work (6 yrds). JSBs sound ok.
    Dont have Wasps. That is, not the góód ol Wasps.
    But gonna try some other pellts to see if I can improve accuracy
    ATB,
    yana