Thread: Dating a Webley Junior pistol

Dating a Webley Junior pistol

I know that these can be very difficult to determine how old they are but I have just come across something that puzzles and interests me.

I am currently replacing my latex grip moulds by making new ones in both short and long grip styles and whilst removing grips for patterns, noticed that a long grip, fixed sight, Birmingham 4 model has what appears to be date stamps either side of the fixing screw. These numbers are 2 8 . I have 9 post war series 2 juniors and non of the other pistols are so marked apart from 1 which is a similar pistol to the first but the markings are 7 7

Anyone noticed similar ? Comments would be welcomed please

Yes, I have come across this with late production Juniors. For example, I own 11 8 and 12 70 for Nov 1968 and December 1970.

Same format as Premiers, so a handy feature to see.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you for that comment and observation John. I have often read that only Premiers are dated but this appears to show that Webley did occasionally mark other models , albeit on an intermittent basis but those dates could be useful in identifying when changes in design or manufacture occurred.

Interestingly, both my marked juniors have the same inspectors( or assemblers) mark which is quite clearly an 'X'. I wonder whether it was an individuals choice or a Webley choice to mark them? I suppose we will never know.

I have a 1964 Senior that has the date marking, neither of my 1940’s Juniors do.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Thank you for that comment and observation John. I have often read that only Premiers are dated but this appears to show that Webley did occasionally mark other models , albeit on an intermittent basis but those dates could be useful in identifying when changes in design or manufacture occurred.

Interestingly, both my marked juniors have the same inspectors( or assemblers) mark which is quite clearly an 'X'. I wonder whether it was an individuals choice or a Webley choice to mark them? I suppose we will never know.
    From my experience working on final QC inspection in factories, you were assigned a number or letter when you took on the post - this was passed on to whoever took over the job after you.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

And another intrigue. I have just received another Junior in the post. it was cheap, so I bought it.
    A later Series 2 that is stamped 11 0 under the grip but also has a large prominent capital 'A' stamped in the place where one would normally find the series letter on a Premier.

Has anyone else seen this 'Series' letter stamped on a Junior please? None of my others carry a mark like it

EDIT. PS. I would normally think this pistol was dated November 1960 but it has the slightly longer barrel of the post 1963 models. This one would tie in nicely with the one John has dated December 70 . Batch number of mine is 872
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 29-04-2021 at 02:37 PM.