Thread: Quirky Quackenbush

Quirky Quackenbush

Had a look at this yesterday. Seized solid and no piston seal. Model 1 fourth variant methinks from Jimmy Dee's info.
    Solid brass plunge barrel cocking with sliding breech, weird calibre twixt .20 and .22.
    JG Airguns, across the pond, stock parts amazingly.
    https://imgur.com/a/Jq0jz5p

I bought one of these about 10 years ago it is .21 cal smoothbore 'gallery gun' and made with only fifteen component parts and it seems that this was Quackenbush's first airgun with push-in, Gat-style cocking and loading. I managed to buy some original .21 cal slugs from Protek a number of years ago but not sure if they still have them. An interesting early development with a patent dating back to July 1881.

Thanks for the info. Does yours have the leather piston seal intact?
    No seal in this one and bugs me that the sear will foul the seal edge so unsure how HMQ got it to work.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    I bought one of these about 10 years ago it is .21 cal smoothbore 'gallery gun' and made with only fifteen component parts and it seems that this was Quackenbush's first airgun with push-in, Gat-style cocking and loading. I managed to buy some original .21 cal slugs from Protek a number of years ago but not sure if they still have them. An interesting early development with a patent dating back to July 1881.
    They still have some Quackenbush slugs for sale on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Thanks for the info. Does yours have the leather piston seal intact?
    No seal in this one and bugs me that the sear will foul the seal edge so unsure how HMQ got it to work.
    The gun shoots well, although rather weakly as you would expect from a gun designed for short range (probably less than 20') in New York shooting galleries. So I would assume piston seal is essentially intact and would be reluctant to strip and examine it since it is shooting ok.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
    Hope this helps.
    Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    The gun shoots well, although rather weakly as you would expect from a gun designed for short range (probably less than 20') in New York shooting galleries. So I would assume piston seal is essentially intact and would be reluctant to strip and examine it since it is shooting ok.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
    Hope this helps.
    Aubrey
    Appreciated. Thanks.