Thread: How many pellets?

How many pellets?

Some months ago I bought, at a very reasonable price, a 1906 BSA Standard from a friend on here. It looked as though it had spent quite a part of its long life in a garden shed or maybe a barn, hence the price, & hadn't been used for years. I recently got round to giving it some TLC, starting with the rust & grubby stock, giving them the Ballistol & 0000 wire wool treatment & soon had it looking quite presentable. On stripping it down it was bone dry with bits of dried out grease in odd corners & the spring had what might be called a negative preload in that it was sitting a good inch inside the piston. It was still in one piece but well & truly compressed. The piston seal was bone dry, of course, & fell apart as I handled it. The cylinder & barrel were in good condition once they'd been cleaned & the trigger looked fine as well. The loading tap just needed the crud poking out of it with a cocktail stick & relubing with some sticky 'assembly oil'.
    I replaced the spring & leather piston seal, sizing it dry so it was an easy, smooth sliding fit, reassembled everything, then ran a bit if Ballistol down the barrel to lube the piston seal & left it standing muzzle up for a couple of days to let it soak in.
    Now, I appreciate it needs 'shooting in' to bed everything down & get the piston seal working efficiently.
    Gentlemen, how many pellets would you reckon it will take to get this old treasure up to maximum efficiency & how can I tell when I've achieved this. I'd love to know what your learned consensus is. The old girl is firing smoothly after a few dozen shots & the bit of surplus oil from softening the seal seems to have gone now. Thanks for reading this & looking forward to reading your considered opinions. Glyn

I have no real evidence behind this, but I’ve always thought that a full tin of 500 is a good idea properly to bed a springer in after a service. Often less, in my limited experience, maybe as few as 50-100, but I wouldn’t take that as definitive.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    First of all, well done for getting another old BSA up and running again. as for how many pellets it will take to settle down l don't know. but l would have thought a few hundred should do the trick. but l think you should be able to tell your self with how it preforms. enjoy it great rifles.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, with leather I'd say a good half a tin.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.