Thread: Fascinating arrival of a 1939 Stoeger Catalog

Fascinating arrival of a 1939 Stoeger Catalog

For a couple years I have had a 1934 Stoeger Catalog and have had fun trying to collect the Airguns on those pages. I saw a 1939 catalog in pretty nice condition and a reasonable price. Little did I know that Stoeger by 1939 had greatly expanded their Airgun offering. Now my Haenel 28’s, my BSA Standard and Light were Stoeger offerings. Schmiesser Bolt Action rifles were offered. Got some collecting to do! Lol

https://imgur.com/a/vIP2kf9

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    For a couple years I have had a 1934 Stoeger Catalog and have had fun trying to collect the Airguns on those pages. I saw a 1939 catalog in pretty nice condition and a reasonable price. Little did I know that Stoeger by 1939 had greatly expanded their Airgun offering. Now my Haenel 28’s, my BSA Standard and Light were Stoeger offerings. Schmiesser Bolt Action rifles were offered. Got some collecting to do! Lol

https://imgur.com/a/vIP2kf9
    Cool.

Interesting:

1. That despite their dispute with Webley 1932-35, they were still selling Webley pistols, and the MkII rifle.

2. The branding of Dianas as “Stoeger Precision High Power” and the Haenels as “Stoeger-Haenel” seems oddly prophetic of the techniques later adopted by Bob Beeman.

3. As a , the US stuff is intriguing. Esp. the Brown pistol.

4. IMHO, “Schmiesser” got popularised, wrongly, during/after WW2 as a name for the MP38/40 (neither of which he was involved in designing). Was Hugo S that well-known (and for what?) in the US pre-1939 that it was preferable to use his name rather than “Stoeger-Haenel”? Odd.

The Stoeger pre-war catalog

1939 was indeed a good year for airguns-at Stoegers!
    When I got mine I set about 'collecting' everything listed.I was successful until I got around to the Brown. I obsessed over this thing until the only course of action available to me was, 'get another catalogue and start collecting again!' I got a post-war one and eventually aquired some very fine 'Peerless' marked Diana guns!....and could sleep peacefully. Cornell publish the airgun pages from the 1939 issue as a booklet.

The 1939 catalog is known for that Brown. Could have bought one at a Airgun show last month. It was a deluxe only one problem can you guess? Cornell is a great resource but holding the real catalog is just a hoot worth a bit more money.

Steve,you leave me

BREATHLESS! ;-) Here in NZ,guys are asking up to $NZ1500 for those new Umarex replicas!