Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Thanks Gents I knew you'd appreciate an American classic. The weight and dimensions makes it very handy and it's a hard hitter in the larger calibre.

that looks in good condition James

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    that looks in good condition James
    It's not bad Ped, it could do with adjusting the piston, a pump seal and a new hammer spring. If you know where they can be obtained? I might have to order from the US.

Better lighting in this photo.

1. (Top) Benjamin 342 1980
    2. Sheridan C-Series 1989
    3. Benjamin G392 1991
    4. Benjamin 397P 1991
    5. Benjamin 312 1966
    6. Benjamin EB20 1999

it's better to have a weak hammer spring in them and i use the same spring as i use in the streaks to keep power down
    on the piston seal is it the flat top one or the sheridan style one

It retains air after 3 shots and it has the older style pump head with felt pads and the seal is flat with a hole in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    it's better to have a weak hammer spring in them and i use the same spring as i use in the streaks to keep power down
    on the piston seal is it the flat top one or the sheridan style one

I think then 312/317s look like a baby Ithaca pump action shotgun.
    Have you ever eaten a tootsie roll bar? It's the sickliest thing I've ever eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Great find ratbuster!
    Like Louis I love the tootsie roll -- my 312 is my favourite "pumper", nice short carbine length, easy to pump, great open sights and a hard hitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Wow! What a beauty. Great find.
    Such an elegant rifle. I like the look of the tootsie roll.
    If I'm not mistaken, they are quite powerful for their size and weight?

i'll see if i have ane sheridan springs adj kits left and see if it will adapt to a 312
    i only have the later rubber piston cups
    afaik an o ring flat top piston head will work fine with the earlier guns

Thanks Ped, the bolt is really light to pull back, I think the 60 year old hammer spring is just really worn out.

Happy new year! Other than a bit of garden plinking I haven't had much time to play recently but last month I managed to find a 347 to keep the 342 company and a 237 pistol.

It holds air so I just stripped the front and rear down for maintenance. I cleaned the pump tube out, replaced the pump cup seal, lubricated and replaced the two roll pins with solid ones. The hammer, spring and tube got a quick polish and I replaced the hammer spring with a slightly stronger one.

This one was made around late 1980s and hasn't been used much at all. I just lubricated the pivot points as they were bone dry. It's quite accurate but the basic iron sights let it down so I may try a pistol scope. It's producing 4.2 ft-lbs. on max 8 pumps, I think they normally do about 4.5ft lbs in the smaller calibre. I'll put a new pump cup seal on and I should see a small power increase.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 01-01-2022 at 08:54 PM.

I was very impressed with my brother, he spotted a Benjamin 312 on a film called Mud and sent me a screen shot. The guy was shooting water snakes with it.

I picked up this tired looking early Benjamin 342 from the late 60's. It didn't pump, cock or hold air but a good clean and lube had it working again. I've ordered a new sight and glued a crack in the stock. It shoots well and it looks and feels like the earlier 312, the main differences are the tang safety and a stamped metal rear sight.

I like the patina where the black has worn and showing the nickel plating underneath, but not yet made it down to the brass, which has the appearance of gun metal.

Last edited by ratbuster2240; 20-01-2022 at 11:45 PM.

I've finally got the Innova together, it has been a tricky project and Ped lent a hand with the breech. The trigger still sticks sometimes and I think I'll have to try a longer trigger spring to set the sear. It now feels like a grown up rifle and very sturdy.

I've also been playing with my trusty old Crosman 1322 and fitted a new barrel band, pump tube and pivot pin. I tried a Williams WGRS peep sight but it was shooting too high so I fitted the Beeman with low magnification 2.5 x 16.

I've got Mossberg magazine tube sling stud, (10/32) and I'm going to try drilling and tapping the 1377 pivot plug. It would be nice to have a solid mounting point for a sling.
    I'll also add an 8/32 set screw in the barrel band. I think Gmac should do these as standard, it really helps keeps the tube and barrel secure for better accuracy.

Really nice to follow this thread, ratbuster2240.
    You have a great variety of pumpers and CO2 guns (and pcp's too, but they haven't featured in this thread yet ha-ha).
    I think you would like the Sharp Ace.
    Tried to send you a pm by the way, but your inbox seems to be full.
    Cheers! Louis