Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auctions are dangerous! Guess I'd better learn about pre war bsa.

That was a good deal on the LGR 👍

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That was a good deal on the LGR 👍
    I was surprised tbh. I dont knownwhat they are worth but surely its a £300 gun?
    The 2 300s and the anschutz 250 made decent money but this went cheap. An original 66 went cheap too but I somehow didn't realise it was up next untill the hammer fell.

I took most of the lgr apart yesterday as it seems to be a little underpowered. It all looks fine though although I didn't take the piston out. I could slide it back far enough to see a bit of it though. The puffer/buffer is fine thoygh, the valve is spot on too. Doesnt seem to be a breech leak either but if I can loosen the barrel clamp I'll tweek the barrel up a bit.
    I'll order new breech seals when I get chance anyway and chrono it later today.
    Apart from a 1cm light scratch on the stock, a couple of tiny knocks on the barrel, a little thinning to the blue on the lever and 2 marks where the breech block flips up, it's in superb condition and has a nice dark stock.

I took it to do some bell target on Monday and it's lovely to shoot.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

The Cadet Major etching is good. The LGR was a world beater when it came out, until the FWB 60x series and others copied the SSP concept.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The Cadet Major etching is good. The LGR was a world beater when it came out, until the FWB 60x series and others copied the SSP concept.

It's a nice, honest, gun. Seems to have quite a punch too which surprised me.
    I'm really liking the lgr. Took it apart yet again and this time actually took the piston out. It was low on power as someone put the piston back in upside down. Ment it was only getting maybe half stroke!
    Sorted now though.

I'll pull the pistol apart tomorrow, then move on to the BSA's. Looking forward to working on those.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    It's a nice, honest, gun. Seems to have quite a punch too which surprised me.
    I'm really liking the lgr. Took it apart yet again and this time actually took the piston out. It was low on power as someone put the piston back in upside down. Ment it was only getting maybe half stroke!
    Sorted now though.

I'll pull the pistol apart tomorrow, then move on to the BSA's. Looking forward to working on those.
    Graeme, if you do decide to split one of the L Patterns for spares, would you please bear me in mind for the piston?
    On the one I have the piston head comes off every 20 shots or so because most of the threads on the securing screw and the hole it screws into are stripped.
    It's a real pain having to strip the rifle right down every 20 shots, and retrieve the piston head from the end of the cylinder.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Graeme, if you do decide to split one of the L Patterns for spares, would you please bear me in mind for the piston?
    On the one I have the piston head comes off every 20 shots or so because most of the threads on the securing screw and the hole it screws into are stripped.
    It's a real pain having to strip the rifle right down every 20 shots, and retrieve the piston head from the end of the cylinder.

I will.
    That sounds like a real pain!

When you strip the pistol, be sure to check the relevant posts here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....rguns-manuals/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

When you strip the pistol, be sure to check the relevant posts here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....rguns-manuals/
    Thanks. I'll read through it a bit later.
    I've been reading about these giss system guns a fair bit recently as I am also building up to stripping an original 75.
    I'll do the pistol first though.
    I've had the end caps off them both, but not gone any further yet.
    They both work fine but neither are very smooth to cock, so I'd like to have a nose inside anyway.

Thanks. I'll read through it a bit later.
    I've been reading about these giss system guns a fair bit recently as I am also building up to stripping an original 75.
    I'll do the pistol first though.
    I've had the end caps off them both, but not gone any further yet.
    They both work fine but neither are very smooth to cock, so I'd like to have a nose inside anyway.
    When you put it all back, you can use the cog wheels to hold the pistons/springs in place while you replace the cylinder end cap. Remember to put the shim(s) back inside the end cap to keep the timing in sync and be careful - the end cap thread is very fine and easy to cross-thread.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

When you put it all back, you can use the cog wheels to hold the pistons/springs in place while you replace the cylinder end cap. Remember to put the shim(s) back inside the end cap to keep the timing in sync and be careful - the end cap thread is very fine and easy to cross-thread.
    Thanks.
    I assume you know these guns then?
    Just wondered how smooth they normally cock. The movement is smooth enough but they sound a little bad. I guess it could just be the double springs rubbing over each other though.
    The 6 seems to have orange/red seals although I've only seen the rear one so far. Was a little broken seal residue in it though.
    The 75 has blue seals. It was made in early 1980 so I guess it's been resealed. Needs a breech seal though. I tried the tap washer thing but they fall apart after maybe 50 shots. I assume they were harder than normal rubber.
    As I say, they both seem to shoot well and with decent power, I just want to double check the insides due to how they sound when cocking.

Thanks.
    I assume you know these guns then?
    Just wondered how smooth they normally cock. The movement is smooth enough but they sound a little bad. I guess it could just be the double springs rubbing over each other though.
    The 6 seems to have orange/red seals although I've only seen the rear one so far. Was a little broken seal residue in it though.
    The 75 has blue seals. It was made in early 1980 so I guess it's been resealed. Needs a breech seal though. I tried the tap washer thing but they fall apart after maybe 50 shots. I assume they were harder than normal rubber.
    As I say, they both seem to shoot well and with decent power, I just want to double check the insides due to how they sound when cocking.
    Cocking should be smooth and pretty quiet. Yours could have disintegrating seals if original, although decent power is a good sign, so may just be lack of grease. Yes, the newer seals tend to be blue or green. I wouldn't fire yours again if I were you until you know. The teeth on the pistons are quite fragile and new pistons expensive.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Cocking should be smooth and pretty quiet. Yours could have disintegrating seals if original, although decent power is a good sign, so may just be lack of grease. Yes, the newer seals tend to be blue or green. I wouldn't fire yours again if I were you until you know. The teeth on the pistons are quite fragile and new pistons expensive.
    I've already decided not to shoot them again yet.
    I think they probably just need a 're lube but I know things can go wrong quickly if there are problems so I want to make sure.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    can you not just go up a size ? find a suitable slightly larger bolt, and tap the piston to take it ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    can you not just go up a size ? find a suitable slightly larger bolt, and tap the piston to take it ?
    Bang a 10-32 unf tap in, and use a NAS 10-32 C/S screw ..job jobbed!

ATB, Ed

Took the original 6 apart today, it's alot simpler than I feared.
    Front seal looks very good, rear seal has some splits that haven't quite gone through yet. I think I caught it just in time really.
    Springs are good, as are all teeth.
    New seals ordered. Ordered them for the 75 at the same time for when I pluck up some more courage.