Thread: Bsa cadet major questions

Bsa cadet major questions

I took my cadet major apart tonight for a look. It's new to me so thought it best to check it over.

I'm not sure if it needs a new piston seal though. It had the type with the conical washer and buffer. The washer had some distortion but will straighten.
    I've seen new assemblies are available but in the picture on knibbs site it doesn't show it assembled as it is when fitted.
    When all together, is the face of the conical washer flush with the leather seal or below?
    I assume it would end up flush anyway, seems like it's designed so the washer contacts the end of the cylinder and the buffer underneath takes the force.

Secondly, seems there is/was a sort of drilled disc gauze covering the transfer port. I found this between the piston seal and the buffer. Is ot worth trting to figure out a way to get it back in? How was it held in place (badly by the looks of it). It's the first gun I've seen anything like this in so I assume people just leave them out. Maybe an unnecessary risc to leave one in there at all.

Thanks.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    don;t worry about the gauze - it's to stop crap (nails, lead shot, whatever random stuff kids put in their barrels) being drawn into the cylinder.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.