Thread: The Baby Tornado

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

The Baby Tornado

I have only heard of one person having one.
    Has anybody else got one? Its one of the guns i've always fancied a look at but couldnt really see me wanting one (With the full sized gun and the breakbarrel, they wreck py dodgy elbow )

Id be curious to know about the hsitory of them, when (why??) they were made and how many?

What diameter is the cylinder and is the piston a scaled down version of the full sized gun or similar to the pistols?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I do love my Relums so I will be following this closely. Never heard of the baby Tornado so hopefully an owner will post up some pictures.
    Once I have finished on my break barrel, I will be on the look out for an LP12 under lever in .177 but it would seem that these are quite scarce too.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I keep meaning to get this info to you guy.

I have two one early another seemingly later though the only thing that is different is the stock. Early gun has a non ribbed thin stock with a single finger groove. Later stock is similarly shaped but plain, pretty sure its original as its in the same blond beech. They are literally scaled down versions of the big rifle in all respects. This does have its drawbacks as the trigger elements are reused from the bigger gun which mean they do not work well with the smaller piston in terms of locking up action during cocking. Power is pathetic, the one I tested a while back was doing 3-4 fpe, with its original, pistol sized spring to be sure. I suspect tweaking could get some more umph out of them, but then that's not the point is it?

I have to dig these out of a deep dark cupboard, and when I do I will give measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I keep meaning to get this info to you guy.

I have two one early another seemingly later though the only thing that is different is the stock. Early gun has a non ribbed thin stock with a single finger groove. Later stock is similarly shaped but plain, pretty sure its original as its in the same blond beech. They are literally scaled down versions of the big rifle in all respects. This does have its drawbacks as the trigger elements are reused from the bigger gun which mean they do not work well with the smaller piston in terms of locking up action during cocking. Power is pathetic, the one I tested a while back was doing 3-4 fpe, with its original, pistol sized spring to be sure. I suspect tweaking could get some more umph out of them, but then that's not the point is it?

I have to dig these out of a deep dark cupboard, and when I do I will give measurements.
    Thanks Ollie.
    Power is ok at that I guess, little Diana or Webley power.
    What is it with the trigger? Is it slow to engage with the piston? Im taking it the piston has the punched out bit for the sear to engage on like the full sized rifles?
    Is the trigger spring the same size??

Do you have any idea when they were made and how many were produced?
    Thanks
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Is it a Relum 322? they have one at Protek

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airriflesused.html

Baby Tornado is not mentioned in any of the Walthers books which is strange because he does mention the finger chopping LG35 with the sliding breech and no safety devices or bear-trap blocking. I have seen one of these and they are like badly made Sten guns, tiny and nasty. They only imported a couple of hundred ... so if this got mentioned then where is the 'Baby'?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Is it a Relum 322? they have one at Protek

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airriflesused.html

Baby Tornado is not mentioned in any of the Walthers books which is strange because he does mention the finger chopping LG35 with the sliding breech and no safety devices or bear-trap blocking. I have seen one of these and they are like badly made Sten guns, tiny and nasty. They only imported a couple of hundred ... so if this got mentioned then where is the 'Baby'?
    The 322 was the name of the Tornado early on . I think Zodiac was also used at some point?
    I had some photocopies of an early 60s ad for Relums and it had the little Slavias there but not a Baby Tornado.
    I have seen a photocopy of something about the Baby Tornado and something in my head says it is 37 inches long.

I very briefly had a "Finger Chopper" , that I bought off here and sold on for the same price a few days later . What a bloody horrible thing. It was so bad I thought it was Chinese made!

I also very briefly had a Relum Artex pistol without the rear sight. That came with something else. It wouldnt cock without flipping the cocking lever out. The only way I could sort it was to fit a weaker mainspring than the one that was in. I think I sent that on to Ollie.

I was convinced that there should be some sort of bracket, plate or roller to put pressure on the cocking arm and keep it in place. Apparently there isnt There is something that is nagging me about it and I'd like to have a look at another on but Im sure there would be no desire to actually buy and own on.

Unless anyone else can throw some light on the Bady Tornado, It looks like we will have to wait for Ollie to trip over his and report back

Is the Baby Tornado the same as the Telly Junior?

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert j View Post
    Is the Baby Tornado the same as the Telly Junior?

Difference is that Baby Tornado is an underlever. Well, well, well, thanks for posting that. This is the what I think is the later of the two stocks, but used for break barrel. The earlier one has a finger groove. Telly Junior, something completely new to me! Could you let us know the total length and length and diameter of the cylinder?

Regarding the trigger, it slips off its locking position and will not engage. I think this is because its basically just a full size unit, working with a miniaturised piston.