Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Good you're aware.

If you have your right hip behind you are you left handed if it's anti clockwise?

Ideally there should be a straight line through ankles to target, knees to target, hip sockets to target... but if you can't then the weakest move comes when you 'open' the hips to the target... ie for a right handed shooter, whose right leg is at the back, this moves anti clockwise and you present more of your front to the target. This can weaken your supporting arm by throwing the rifle out from being over the top of your elbow which should be sitting on your hip.

It might not be your balance. It maybe. But sometimes it can just be your flex. Or your position (don't forget your head weighs 8lb). But often the flex isn't there to start with to allow the body to connect ideally. And the other thing is people fit their position to the gun. You want to adjust the rifle to fit your position. Which is why all the 10m guns can adjust in a myriad of ways.

To be honest positional work is pretty much impossible to fix over the net. The best way is to get an instructor or coach to look at you for a short session. It won't cost much, some clubs have them for free. And it will pay dividends.

Refinement of the standing position is an ongoing process. You change even if you don't change any kit. It's like spinning plates, you work on one aspect then something else starts to become apparent, so you work on that whilst trying to keep an eye on the other. The whole shooting process can be incredibly deep in detail because you're not trying to pull of a few good shots, you're trying to replicate a good shot again and again and again.

Have fun with it
I've been standing the other way. I'm right handed. I stand at 90 degree to the center line, then move my right foot back so I'm starting to face away from the target clockwise. Not alot though. Then I rotate my back anti-clockwise so I end up at 90 degrees again. Make sense? I'm sort of coiling my back to take up and free play.
I can feel that it's a bad thing to do when combined with a backwards lean and a left hip forward! Improves my stability though.
I also struggle alot with left arm position. To get the rifle high enough I have to hunch my shoulders up a bit too.
I'm mikes away from being able to hold and sight the gun without having to contort and use muscles.

I have been looking for clubs when I think the nearest is rugeley. I might pop down and visit them.

The reason I think balance might be an issue is because in life in general, I never feel balanced! I always feel slightly giddy.
I've also noticed my wrists are starting to hurt (trigger hand mainly wierdly)

To be honest, this probably isn't the best sport for me! I've had spinal surgery, I've previously broken both wrists, I suffer with migraines with blind spots, I always feel dizzy and I've previously completely destroyed one of my ear drums.

Rifle fit is an issue. Not that much I can do with my old rifles though. I am tall and thin. I think I need to lower the butt plate alot more than I can. I also think ineed to raise the cheek alot. Then maybe cant the rifle in and use sight risers. I have considered making a new stock for my lgr. Maybe one day.
I'll hold off, if I get more hooked on this I'll invest in a more suitable gun.

Having said all that, I'm in no way planning to compete. I like these old target rifles and am just trying to shoot them as well as I can. It's just a bit of fun for me and a learning curve.
End goal is to consistently shoot 9s on a 6 yard target.
If I can get to that I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated.