Thread: BSA keeper screw replacements

BSA keeper screw replacements

Has anyone got details of what thread BSA used for the keeper screw for the cocking lever axis bolt on the early under levers please? Are they one of the odd Otto Bicycle threads or an odd number BA?

Wondered if anyone has had to make one? If so which thread did you find it to be or was it easier to drill & tap to a near BA? Any tips 'n tricks greatfully received. Lost one & the cheap & cheerful metal detector I've got hasn't located it.

A gentle nudge to the top, can't for the life of me think nobody else has had a bash at making one of these & if they have a little help would be appreciated please.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Has anyone got details of what thread BSA used for the keeper screw for the cocking lever axis bolt on the early under levers please? Are they one of the odd Otto Bicycle threads or an odd number BA?

Wondered if anyone has had to make one? If so which thread did you find it to be or was it easier to drill & tap to a near BA? Any tips 'n tricks greatfully received. Lost one & the cheap & cheerful metal detector I've got hasn't located it.
    Apparently a neat trick is to use the identical screw holding the piston rod. Never tried it myself though.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....qs-2/#post-501
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

[QUOTE=Garvin;8180625]Apparently a neat trick is to use the identical screw holding the piston rod. Never tried it myself though.

Thanks Garvin, I'd heard the two screws were interchangeable, but i don't have a spare piston one to cannibalise so I would still need to find or make one but it's a good shout, thanks

Or you could just buy one at £7-50

https://www.airgunspares.com/std31sk...rewkeeper.html

I had to make one some years ago and found that 8 b.a. fitted but a bit loose. So I turned the o.d. a tiny bit oversize and opened the die a bit and decided it was fine for just a locking screw, it didn't need wacking up super tight.

gunshop, thaks fir your reply, that's certainly a possibility, might be tempted by that route.

ceekay, thank you for your reply too, that sounds like a distinct possibility to have a go at to at least see how it runs in. As you say it doesn't need to go in dead tight. Thanks again, & if for any reason I want to get a 'new' one later on the options still there as I wont have had to drill & retap it.