Thread: HW Tyrolean question

HW Tyrolean question

I’ve been clearing through some of my remaining springers, and came across an anomaly that I don’t understand, so hopefully those whose knowledge is greater than mine can put me straight.
    To the best of my knowledge, both of these rifles, HW80 and HW95, have factory Tyrolean stocks, but the cheek piece on the HW80 is clearly very different from that on the HW95.
    The HW80 stock also has extra chequering but I’d always assumed that was a customer’s addition.
    The HW95 stock is very like a hardwood HW 77 stock that I have which is apparently a prototype Tyrolean design by Nick Jenkinson in association with Venom.
    Any thoughts or info appreciated.
    Of course, it would help if I knew how and where to post relevant images, as apparently I may not post attachments!

Early HW 77 had Tyrolean stock option. This rifle was made in 1983.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

You may have a factory Tyro on the 80 which has 3 panels to the front , the 95 could be a CS600 stock or other custom stock . The 95 didn’t have a factory Tyro option like the 80 and 77 did .

HW

The 85 had a tryolean stock and not the 95. Venom stocks like most custom houses of the day relied on custom stocks to do the inlet work and basic shaping. Once the stocks were delivered to Venom then Ivan would work his magic on them.

that stock looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    You may have a factory Tyro on the 80 which has 3 panels to the front , the 95 could be a CS600 stock or other custom stock . The 95 didn’t have a factory Tyro option like the 80 and 77 did .
    I agree with this - I've worked on a good few HW factory Tyrolean stocks last year, including one I'm currently doing now, they seem to be quite popular at the moment.

The factory Tyrolean stocks have a more vertical grip, a cheekpiece positioned closer to the action ( causing mounting issues with some optics ) and a non-adjustable black, curved recoil pad. Chequering is at 18lpi and of a large wraparound pattern to the forend with a single border cut all around.
    The HW95 stock you have will most likely be a CS model - although I suppose there's a (very small) chance someone fitted a factory Tyrolean HW85 to the 95 - but a factory 85 tyrolean is a very rare stock to come by.
    If you want to email me some photographs over I'll be able to tell you immediately what you have.
    Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I agree with this - I've worked on a good few HW factory Tyrolean stocks last year, including one I'm currently doing now, they seem to be quite popular at the moment.

The factory Tyrolean stocks have a more vertical grip, a cheekpiece positioned closer to the action ( causing mounting issues with some optics ) and a non-adjustable black, curved recoil pad. Chequering is at 18lpi and of a large wraparound pattern to the forend with a single border cut all around.
    The HW95 stock you have will most likely be a CS model - although I suppose there's a (very small) chance someone fitted a factory Tyrolean HW85 to the 95 - but a factory 85 tyrolean is a very rare stock to come by.
    If you want to email me some photographs over I'll be able to tell you immediately what you have.
    Cheers, Craig
    Thanks for info Craig and Mick
    You're spot on re the HW80 - now I know that mine is definitely the original factory item; pretty unmistakeable once you've been shown one.
    Re the HW95: I'll drop Craig a pic.
    Thanks, John