Thread: What is this weird air pistol?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

What is this weird air pistol?

Does anyone know anything about this unusual air pistol pistol currently up for auction at Rydales?

It has marked similarities to the J.B. Peters patent pistol rental recently discussed on here (
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....=peters+pistol

and also has some similarity in its loading principle to the arcade ball firing pistol also discussed previously on the forum:

Last edited by ccdjg; 19-01-2023 at 01:51 PM.

The shape of the frame and grip size are especially bizarre! Was the inventor taking hallucinogenic drugs?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Top one looks like a bastardised staple gun

Tyre inflating gat gun

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    From the grip it looks like it could be used equally well backwards as forwards. Russian roulette air pistol?

I haven't been able to find out any more about this pistol, other than is has .177 calibre and came with some plastic pellets. It has many of the hallmarks of being from a coin-operated shooting game, where ruggedness and ease of operation take precedence over looks and power.

It has just sold at auction, bundled with a Crosman Powermatic 1600 CO2 pistol for £160. I expect the buyer only wanted the Crosman, but me, I would have been only after the weirdo, so if the buyer is reading this, please don't chuck it away ......

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I haven't been able to find out any more about this pistol, other than is has .177 calibre and came with some plastic pellets. It has many of the hallmarks of being from a coin-operated shooting game, where ruggedness and ease of operation take precedence over looks and power.

It has just sold at auction, bundled with a Crosman Powermatic 1600 CO2 pistol for £160. I expect the buyer only wanted the Crosman, but me, I would have been only after the weirdo, so if the buyer is reading this, please don't chuck it away ......
    I was just putting this in the gallery... If not for a coin-operated shooting game, maybe made for a child by an amateur? The tap-loading is a very safe system in many ways. Over-engineered for a game perhaps.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

its a odd looking thing

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I would suggest its nothing more than a factory or garage air blow gun that some bored worker has stuck a barrel & loading tap onto.

Totally agree. My only thought at first was the apparent 'rear sight', but googling images of vintage compressor guns some seem to have a similar looking bit (God knows why), or else it could have been part of a hook in the casting that's been cut down.

We've modified one at work with a bit of SS tube and gaffer tape to fire wet tissue balls. Very effective over 20ft or so. Not as well engineered as it's only a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Totally agree. My only thought at first was the apparent 'rear sight', but googling images of vintage compressor guns some seem to have a similar looking bit (God knows why), or else it could have been part of a hook in the casting that's been cut down.

We've modified one at work with a bit of SS tube and gaffer tape to fire wet tissue balls. Very effective over 20ft or so. Not as well engineered as it's only a muzzle loader.
    I would be inclined to agree with you, but this appears to be a springer not a pneumatic, so there would need to be a piston/spring/sear mechanism in there somewhere. It could have once been an industrial compresser air gun like you say, but converting it to a self-contained springer would not have been a particularly simple matter.

Hmm. Can't see how it would cock?

Ah. I see from the auction site it said trigger grip powered.
    (But also low power). Would love to know if it has a piston, or some kind of hammer/pin to 'kick' the pellet. Wonder if whoever got it would take the side off and post pics...
    Last edited by ashf9999; 28-01-2023 at 06:35 PM.

I would imagine that the action of pulling the large cooking lever / trigger would pull back and then release the piston in one action, sort of like an automatic centre punch.
    Accuracy is probably not on the menu.

The plastic BBs are so light, it probably has a thin wire spring driving a very short, lightweight piston.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

It probably has a similar mechanism to this old pop-gun: