Thread: I think I need counseling but I had to change the knobs of the sight on my BSA

I think I need counseling but I had to change the knobs of the sight on my BSA

Been thoroughly enjoying my new to me 1914 BSA Sporting rifle. But the previous owner put a 1950’s aperature sight on the rifle. I actually am thankful that this was done cause given my age an aperture really helps. But it looked a bit out of place with the adjusting knobs that have a slot for a coin. The earliest version in the 1930’s had regular target knobs. Saw on the bay a cheap older Lyman that had the knobs I could harvest. Bottom line it looks much better to me now? The insanity of a collector, who will even notice but me?

BEFORE

AFTER

Thumbs up

Looks great

Much better Steve. Good call.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

agree with the above comments,looks much better and more precise.

Looks and function both improved! Very nice fit to my eye.

I believe I'm correct in saying Lyman offered both styles of knobs on many of their classic sights, and per their web site continues to do so for the model 37 to this day. So no one can even know they aren't original, unless you tell 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Looks and function both improved! Very nice fit to my eye.

I believe I'm correct in saying Lyman offered both styles of knobs on many of their classic sights, and per their web site continues to do so for the model 37 to this day. So no one can even know they aren't original, unless you tell 'em!
    Yes the slotted knobs were for “hunting” and these were for target shooting. The early sights I believe were all target? I just see mostly slotted ones? Target ones are quite a bit harder to find in vintage milled steel. Below is the modern aluminum sight.