Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stocks & Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    69-71 may well coincide with the pin rear sights being used on Mk3 Meteors. makes perfect sense.Apologies for going slightly off thread.
    No need for apologies - going OT produces all sorts of interesting stuff, & my OP was about the changes in wood over the years.

In my project box I have a Mk 3 or possibly 4 Meteor, has a very bland, pale stock.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I always prefer blondes It will be interesting to see what Craig says re the Meteor stock he checkered

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I have a Mk1 Airsporter project in the shed which has a Beech stock, made in three parts like the walnut ones, doesnt appear to have had a heavy stain but is quite pale. Another project!

My Mk1 looked bland and all over red until I attacked it with the sand paper & wet & dry. The butt is a beautiful piece of walnut the other two pieces appear plain but still ok if you ignore the contrast.
    Perhaps you should tickle yours when the weather gets good enough and see what's beneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I recently bought two 70's BSAs and kept one in the factory light beech laqured finish but sanded off the red brown laquer on the 2nd. The wood beneath is light and I am convinced it is the same beech. It's winging it's way back from Craig right now and I shall ask him which wood he says it is. Based on this small sample plus darkish finished Airsporters I would say BSA used the same wood on all and changed laquer from clear to coloured as needed. I cannot see them buying different wood therefore adding expense when they were doing so much cost cutting.
    I'm seriously considering refinishing my Mk2 Meteor's stock because it is so tatty. That is a definite reddish colour compared to the brown of my Mk6 airspoters. I will have to find out what wood it is at that point.
    Can anyone confirm the existance of 'blonde' Airsporters which must be clear laquered.
    It’s 100% beech Thomas. I agree it would have been a fresh tint in the lacquer.
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Top man. Totaly top work.

I’m happy you’re pleased (and even happier ParcelForce decided to do their job, finally).
    Pleasure working with you and I hope to do so again in the future.
    Very best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation