Thread: Interesting differences between a Early Westley Richards HP and a Later one

Interesting differences between a Early Westley Richards HP and a Later one

I was fortunate to have purchased several of Robert Beeman’s WRHP pistols. It afforded me the ability to compare Pistols from very early manufacture and later ones. I will be comparing an early version 1 Serial #45 with a very original version 2 Serial # 633. It was very evident in handling the two pistols Serial #45 is beefier and it’s not just the grip. I have looked in the Gallery and I believe one characteristics of the early beefier version is the bevel on the Breech. See pics below, the early version has a bevel only in the inner curve, the later version are beveled over the entire curve. I used my caliper to measure various areas of the two pistols. Below is some poor artwork that shows the areas where the early version is indeed thicker measured in mm. My pistol was abraded and polished so these measurement may actually be slightly smaller because of the refinish. I think as most guns are developed makers always seem to see where they can cut cost or make the gun more efficiently. The grips from horn to vulcanite and maybe what ended up a more standardized slightly thinner construction? Version 1 has a very good feel as you grip the pistol, version 2’s grip feels thin and a bit awkward.

Serial #45

Serial #633

Below is the increase in mm between #45 and #633

Last edited by 45flint; 07-11-2023 at 12:01 PM.

From the Gallery, this pistol shows that the thicker body carried over into version 2? Doubt it was for long but would love to know the serial number of the pistol. This pistol has the early breech bevel and the flatter body where the tube is attached, characteristics of the early frame. But has the new rear sight of version 2.

Below is the crease where the body joins the barrel characteristic of the change to the thinner pistol;
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-11-2023 at 01:15 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Interesting observations Steve, and I found similar differences between my first version (SN 11) and second version (SN 748) pistols. While I was checking I also noticed that the long grip release lever in the first version is dead straight, whereas in the second version it is bent to the left to make it more accessible to the thumb on the right hand. As far as I could tell from pictures in the Gallery, this is a consistent difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Interesting observations Steve, and I found similar differences between my first version (SN 11) and second version (SN 748) pistols. While I was checking I also noticed that the long grip release lever in the first version is dead straight, whereas in the second version it is bent to the left to make it more accessible to the thumb on the right hand. As far as I could tell from pictures in the Gallery, this is a consistent difference.

That straight lever to me makes the most sense to me, less obtrusive and lets a left hand shooter get a grip.

Now I'm looking at the comparison photos like spot the difference, I'm seeing loads of them! In John's pic above, looking at the small fold out brace thingy that makes cocking easier (what's it called?!) there are width differences, steps/shoulders etc. Also, with your #45, the trigger guard/cocking link is very slender and was actually beefed up in the later versions of the Highest Possible.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Now I'm looking at the comparison photos like spot the difference, I'm seeing loads of them! In John's pic above, looking at the small fold out brace thingy that makes cocking easier (what's it called?!) there are width differences, steps/shoulders etc. Also, with your #45, the trigger guard/cocking link is very slender and was actually beefed up in the later versions of the Highest Possible.
    I noticed those steps in the cocking lever, they had to step it in given the thinner grip. Look at the at the fat trigger guard/cocking link on this one from the gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I noticed those steps in the cocking lever, they had to step it in given the thinner grip. Look at the at the fat trigger guard/cocking link on this one from the gallery?

I always assumed that nickel one had a replacement guard/cocking link. Now I'm not so sure!

Yes of course 'cocking lever'. Doh.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I always assumed that nickel one had a replacement guard/cocking link. Now I'm not so sure!

Yes of course 'cocking lever'. Doh.
    I thought a replacement seemed possible but how in the world could you break one?