Thread: Webley Service Mk2 gun cases

Webley Service Mk2 gun cases

Has anyone seen Webley leather cases built or commisioned by them?

mk2 cases.

Yes indeed i have. Dave Lewis has made some superb reproduction Webley cases and boxes the best i have seen. i have 2 pistol cases made by him,brown canvas and leather corners and lockable hinged hasp.plus quite a number of his card type pistol boxes. I do not know whether he still makes mk2 caases.

Quote Originally Posted by regentbl View Post
    Has anyone seen Webley leather cases built or commisioned by them?
    If you are able to take a look in Chris Thrale's Webley Rifles book, you will see the original Webley Mk.2 Service leather cases.
    As said above, Dave Lewis has made some excellent reproduction Rifle and pistol cases, but you will find a lot of Mk.2 Service cases are repurposed Brady shotgun cases, some of which have been excellently refitted.
    The original Webley canvas and leather pistol cases are about, but command a very high premium nowadays.

Good question and welcome to the forum.

Webley never made the cases they marketed during the late 1930s and early 1950s. The cases are believed to have been made by Brady, who were a well established maker of Motor cases for shotguns and pistols, as has been pointed out.

The Service cases were made in three grades, the first two of which were constructed from canvas and leather. The third was made mainly of leather and while examples of the first two occasionally come up for sale, the leather case is very rare.

I was shown a leather case once, whose owner believes it to be original as it 'looks' right but as it is the only one known, it is hard to be 100% sure.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Pistol case

Hi what would be the approx value of an original 1930s canvas and leather Webley pistol case in good condition? I have one that I may be selling, but have not seen one for sale recently so unsure of what price to ask for. [unable to put pics on this thread]
    Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by vintagewebleyman View Post
    Hi what would be the approx value of an original 1930s canvas and leather Webley pistol case in good condition? I have one that I may be selling, but have not seen one for sale recently so unsure of what price to ask for. [unable to put pics on this thread]
    Thanks Paul
    Hi Paul,

These rarely crop up and prices can vary.

Tim Dyson had some originals recently and it may be doing a search on Holts sold lots to get a feel for value.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It seems to me you would like an answer :
    So , a very nice Webley Canvas and Leather pistol case , empty , would be worth £500.00
    There's a yard stick for you.

Sam

Does anyone sell new cases converted for three barrels?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Does anyone sell new cases converted for three barrels?

I think the way to go is to buy the best Brady Case you can find , that Website ? , and get someone like Dave Lewis to convert it for you.
    He did one for me about 10 years ago.

Though I do hasten to add , I don't think he is doing cases of any description any more.

He lost / misplaced the Brady badge for mine , so I bought the cheapest case I could find with a Brady badge and used that. The cheap case was £45.00 which I resold at Birmingham.

Hope that helps ??
    Last edited by Sam99; 17-11-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    It seems to me you would like an answer :
    So , a very nice Webley Canvas and Leather pistol case , empty , would be worth £500.00
    There's a yard stick for you.

Sam
    I would agree with that Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    I think the way to go is to buy the best Brady Case you can find , that Website ? , and get someone like Dave Lewis to convert it for you.
    He did one for me about 10 years ago.

Though I do hasten to add , I don't think he is doing cases of any description any more.

He lost / misplaced the Brady badge for mine , so I bought the cheapest one I could find with a Brady badge and used that. The cheap one was £45.00 which I resold at Birmingham.

Hope that helps ??
    Many thanks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.